cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Noahchappy2

How do i quit vaping after doing it for so long, without losing my girlfriend in the process?

Im 18 years old, birthday was last week, and I dont know how to quit vaping. I feel like I've vaped so much, to the point where there’s so much nicotine coursing in my body that if i try quit ill lose my mind. Ive been doing it 2-3 years now. I work a full time job and everyone around me in construction smokes cigarettes on break so idk what to do. I feel that As soon as i try to quit i will lose my girlfriend because I'm so tensely agitated without it. My relationship with my woman is worth more than anything to me and yet i still want to do it. I want to quit so excruciatingly much but i feel like no matter how hard i try, i just end up going and buying another vape as soon as i throw last one away in an attempt to quit. What can i do to keep the withdrawals from killing my relationship? What can i do to ease the withdrawals? What will make the craving cease? Please, I need help. 

12 Replies
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s Noahchappy2 

I am glad you found our site.  We are all addicts...and nicotine withdrawal will not have you go crazy.  Many of us, smoked nicotine for 20 to 40 years and quit without going crazy. Now we may have felt crazy for a while, but it passes.

A lot of this journey is finding something to do other than smoke/vape, etc., it takes time, but you can do this...

You need to communicate with your girlfriend about your quit and the withdrawals and explain that for a bit you may be a little on edge.  You can work on this too, by trying not to be grouchy, etc., Please read at  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and prepare for your quit date, it will also have you make your own quit plan and to prepare for withdrawals and craves.  Then you need to read everything you possible can to educate your self on vaping/smoking/quitting...This isn’t easy, but so doable and takes hard work...I commend you for doing this while you are young...also, in the right and top corner there is a magnifier, click on it and put in key words to meet up with others vape quitters...” vape, Quitting vape, etc.,) Keep close to this support site to get help...we are all in this journey together...Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 275 DOF 

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Here is an additional resource for young people who vape. https://www.thetruth.com/articles/hot-topic/quit-vaping  We're hearing lots of terrible health stories about vaping recently, so I commend you for wanting to make a change.   I understand your concern about being agitated in the beginning, but that will pass.   Someone that cares about you, would want you to quit before it negatively effects your health.  Have you discussed it with her?   Pick a quit date, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a plan.   We're here to support you.  Just reach out.

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is very hard. It is going to require discipline to not follow the crowd.. At work try going in the opposite direction.  Take a walk, come here and read blogs.  You do not have to vape. Start telling yourself that.   It is the addiction to nicotine that keeps you buying.  It is suggested that you wean yourself from the vape by reducing the amount of mgs and times that you vape. Tell yourself to wait a little longer. Gradually use less to break away from it.   It really takes the commitment never to touch it again no matter how bad you feel because it gets better in time. You have to go through the withdrawal like any other drug.  To make it easier you have to find distractions that you may enjoy other than vaping. /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=11fc... As far as your girlfriend.  Explain to her what you are about to do and let her know that it is nothing against her.  It takes about 3 days for most of the nicotine to be out of your body but the mental adjustment makes take longer.  You have to be willing to do whatever is necessary.  

Just like the lack of research surrounding the dangers of vaping in general, there are very few resources available specifically for those who are looking to quit vaping. On the bright side, however, the process for quitting smoking is almost identical to the one for quitting vaping, with the added benefit of being able to fully control the amount of nicotine you use, depending on the e-cig you are using. @Quitting E-cigarettes | Guides & Tools | BecomeAnEX 

PastTense

Welcome to this site!  I hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Quitting smoking/vaping is hard.  I won't lie.  Nicotine is an highly addictive substances that affects every system in our bodies.  Withdrawal is hard but it is possible.

You need a plan. 

Part of that plan is to look into nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) such as patches or gum.  I used the little mints and they helped.  If you use NRT, it is important to follow the directions; otherwise, they just don't work.

Another part of your plan is building a support network for the tough times.  Your girlfriend should be part of your support team.  Bring her on board, let her know you are quitting and that you will need her patience.  She probably wants you to quit and would be delighted! 

We are also part of your support team.  Use us to vent, rage, cry, shout, whatever you need; we don't mind!

Your quit is based on the quality of your plan.  Don't skimp on this step.  You will never regret being free of nicotine.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
Noahchappy2

How do i get a nicotine replacement? Is it free? If not i doubt i can afford it... it just feels hopeless. I dont know how to make a plan or where to start. To be completely honest I... i just want to stop. I always told myself I could never become an addict but here i am. Its a horrible thing. 

Barbscloud

Here's a link to making a quit plan My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and check out that other site I sent for vapers.  https://www.thetruth.com/articles/hot-topic/quit-vaping 

PrimeNumberJD

You've had some great advice; I'm sorry the tobacco industry had gotten a hold of you at such a young age. You should be upset about this as well (vaping or not, where do you think the nicotine comes from). Start at whyquit.com, seriously eye opening!  

Next, while it may seem like a legitimate concern, your girlfriend leaving because you quit is unrealistic; this is addiction trying to hold on. Unless she is only into you because you vape, which I highly doubt, them not vaping wouldn't be the cause. I do understand where your concern comes from, you think you'll rage so bad she won't want to be around you, you won't if you are prepared. 

First, be honest with her, let her know you are quitting and when; she'll be your greatest ally! When you do quit, remember it is perfectly acceptable to walk away, let her know you need a moment, have your moment, and come back. Careful on arguing during the initial steps of your quit. Ultimately, honesty is the best policy, be honest with yourself, be honest with her, and don't try to hide it. Many here have played that game and it does not end well. 

where there’s so much nicotine coursing in my body that if i try quit ill lose my mind

This is irrational; you have no more nicotine in your body then a 50 year, pack a day smoker. The fact is that the half life of nicotine is approximately 1-2 hours, in 8 hours, only 6% of the nicotine you took in is left in your system, in 10 hours, 3%. So, in an 8 hour sleep period, you would only have 6% left. I know you can pick your nicotine level, a JUUL pod is equivalent to a pack of cigarettes (not surprising when you think about it). Let's say you do three JUULs a day (assuming 20 mg pod and 20 mg intake on a pack of cigarettes, so 60 mg for you, which is considered fatal in a single dose) you would have 3.6 mg in your system versus 1.2 mg. I would argue that you may be double at best, but again, that would probably be like 2.4 mg, or a cigarette difference. Ultimately, in 24-72 hours, there is no difference between you, a regular smoker, and a non smoker in the terms of nicotine. 

Over 16 years of my relationship, I have quit many times. I can rage when not quitting and after being separated from quitting all the same. While I may be moody in those times when I quit, I have yet to be so moody, for so long that my wife had left me. 

As you begin your journey, utilize this site to vent your frustrations instead of at home; that may help alleviate some of that stress, keeping it off your significant other. Read, understand your addiction, and set your mentality to quitting no matter what! 

0 Kudos
Noahchappy2

Thank you so much!

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 3:31 PM Jdeering <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

PrimeNumberJD

NRT may be free depending on your state. Illinois's quit line provides free patches. 1-800-QUIT NOW (1-800-784-8669) is the national quit line, they will redirect you to your state hotline. 

I don't know what you are currently paying, but NRT is usually cheaper than tobacco products. It would be worth analysis to figure that out if that is the way you want to go.