cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mitchws1725

Heavy smokers

Hi - 

You have all helped me before.  I will be using Zyban and my quit date is September 15th.

I have read articles, Allen's book and I have an anxious feeling about triggers.

I am a heavy smoker - I smoke all the time,  chain smoke - what do I do?  The trigger thing is so 

specific and is making me nervous.  I have read the 100 things to do instead of smoking and I smoke

when I do most of them now!!!  I am not a "bath" person and due to feet and knee issues I don't just go

on a walk when ever I "need" to.

I also have major depression, so... I am worried.

Have any of you been chain smokers and quit?  What helped you when the triggers/cravings hit?

Thank you for sharing - it is greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Tags (1)
14 Replies
indingrl

Welcome BACK - YES-  I used MY DRUG NICOTINE sucking on 50 death sticks a day - I read Joel Spritzer book titled - Never Take Another Puff Ever - I stayed on this site for the FIRST 90 DAYS - reading and educating MYSELF just like the PEOPLE here SUGGESTED ME too - I took all THEIR SUGGESTIONS - I also watch the early DEATH videos at whyquit.com and Bryons video brought ME out of MY lieing to MYSELF - I tried to quit on MY own off and on throughout 38 YEARS - I surrendered - I am a born again believer since November 6, 1986 - I won't STOP using MY DRUG NICOTINE I would get down to 2 or 3 death sticks and buy another pack so I cried out  to MY Lord Jesus - i got down on MY knees  and prayed Dear Jesus if you dont take this cigs from ME I will smoke them until I drop dead in Jesus name amen then I went to bed - I woke up on January 6, 2011 with a cold turkey quit - only by God's grace -  I have 8 continuous YEARS - I have been coming here almost every day - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest- to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - this is MY RECOVERY FROM NICOTINE story and you may read many more RECOVERY stories here if you choose - gentle hug

mitchws1725

Hello - 

Thank you!  Hearing your story and others is making me determined to quit for good.   I am committed 

and so thankful I found this site.

Wendy

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Have you cut back any?

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome Back.  Breathing was the best tool that I could use when I got anxious, angry, confused, lonely, sad, hungry,  That is what I used the cigarette for.  I drank a lot of water to replace the hand to mouth.  I did a lot of self-talk. to talk myself OUT of smoking. I would tell myself all that no matter what I was not going to smoke.  I came here daily to read blogs, participated.  Started helping, made friends with a support network. I chewed a lot of chewing gum. I learned a lot about what was in a cigarette.  I became familiar with the law of addiction. 

sweetplt

Welcome back Wendy mitchws1725 ... glad you are taking the plunge and quitting smoking...you have prepared well with readings, but continue to prepare...perhaps you can learn a new task that is without the memory of smoking...ie., learn a new language, meditate, learn breathing exercises...etc., I was not a chain smoker, but I was an addict...You can do this...see your Doctor about your anxiety for help...but along with him or her...you must work on it...stay close to the support site and rid all smoking paraphernalia... I am here to help you hon...~ Colleen 268 DOF 

Sootie

It's work...no lie. It is not easy to quit but it is simple.....just don't smoke.

Tell yourself it WILL be tough. Don't be afraid of it. It can't kill you. It can't hurt you. The most that will happen is that you will be uncomfortable  and feel out of sorts. Not the end of the world. You are trying to create a "new" normal for yourself....a non chain smoking Wendy.....and that takes work. But I will tell you it is one of the best things you will ever do and....when you get to the other side it is SO GREAT not to be addicted any longer.

Stay in touch here on the site.....it's the best support to get through triggers and rough spots.

Welcome back to EX!

Giulia

I put up little sticky notes all over the place with positive reminders that I make the journey what it is by the way I choose to think about it.  Things like YES YOU CAN DO THIS! 

ATTITUDE STUPID! 

TODAY IS A NEW DAY, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO VIEW IT?  

SMILE, YOU CAN BREATHE!

STOP WHINING!

CHANGE YOUR FOCUS!

Sometimes we get so caught up in it all that we forget we have a choice on how we think about things.  Those little sayings would enable me to catch myself and take just a bit of a step back for a different view.  I also used a lot of humor to lighten the load.  And I also personified the cravings.  Which some don't agree with, but - hey - I have a 13 year quit, so it worked for me!  When my head just wouldn't shut up, I'd yell at the nicomonster OH JUST GO AWAY!  It made it fun actually to be able to do that.  You want to find the fun in the experience.  Buy a binky, stick it in your mouth and giggle.  

the special lol GIF by The Special Without Brett Davis

constanceclum

I was a heavy smoker at 30-40/day. I am using the patch and, for the 1st week, I also used lozenges. Still I have gone through some pretty tough cravings. I think the cigarette I missed the most was after a meal so I changed my habit. Instead of going out to smoke, I started meal clean-up right away. It's also tough in the mornings, but I get on this site with my coffee, then play a fb game. I cannot do this without God so I spend time meditating and praying in the morning. I also pray my way through cravings. And, each day I remind myself that I choose breathing as I have severe copd. I just wish I quit a long time ago!

Connie

Barbara145

You can do this.  I smoked heavily.  About 2 packs a day.  I smoked for 52 years.  I tried to quit many times.  I could not quit until I found this site.  I also used patches and nicotine gum.  If I felt like being sad, I allowed myself to feel sad.  I promised myself I would never smoke again.  I honored that promise to myself.  That was just about 6 years ago.  Taking a short walk always helped when I felt like I was at the end of my rope.