cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

My First Quit Blog

20190610_142739 (6).jpgToday is day 51 of my no smoking journey and I never thought I would last even a day! But, I did and I'm very proud of myself. 

My smoking started in the Marine Corps back in the early 80s and I smoked and drank on and off for over three decades. I wanted to quit but outside influences and my own addictive personality hooked me on smokes early on. Anxiety from an abusive family and my dad's suicide were the perfect storm for me to become a smoker. Add a military lifestyle to the mix and presto, another smoker was created. 

My reason for quitting is at 56 I have dodged a lot of bullets and I am still here. I have a 17 year old son who I want to see me as a non smoker. And now he is so glad I quit. And so am I. I know I have a long way to go but am thankful for being able to remain smoke free for 51 days!

Being a Marine Corps veteran and a former electrician I have always taken the rough roads to any type of success in life. I consider myself a survivor of abuse and of family suicide. I have also suffered from my own depression especially after having meningitis in 2005 which almost killed me. I believe I was spared for some reason I don't really know because I should of  been gone years ago. 

Smoking is the last vice I have and now I am smoke free for 51 days as well as being alcohol free for 13 years.

12 Replies
Sootie

Welcome. 51 days is an excellent start. You seem to have a great attitude. Being a Marine, you certainly know the value of a team. EX is your team here for quitting smoking.....and you will find us to be the best support online. Hope you stick around to both get and give support..................we are all here for each other.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

First of all, thank you for your service.  I honor you for that, as well as your traveling your quit smoking journey for 51 days! 

There are a couple of things I would like you to know:  1) you are traveling through a period of time when a lot of folks previously on this site noticed a number of quits being lost and decided to highlight the period my giving it a name.  Read all about it here:    https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... , 2) don't be surprised if you start to think about smoking again for the first two years worth of changes in seasons, holidays, family drama.  We don't have a lot of practice relearning these events as ex-smokers, so it can be challenging the first couple of times around.

I am glad you are here.  Might you share how you handled the first couple of days and the worst craves?  Might help others who are struggling!

Congratulations on 51 days!  You are DOING this and should be very proud!

Nancy

Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  You are doing this.  You will be so glad you did.  It is so much more than letting go of cigarettes.  I believe it is a journey to wholeness.  I think you are amazing.  Thanks for sharing the picture of you and your beautiful family.  Have a great Sunday.

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 51 days. That is monumental.  Just like life has it's up and downs the beginning of quitting has its ups and downs.  Continue to hold on to never ever taking another puff no matter what

MarilynH

CONGRATULATIONS on your precious quit journey YAY for 51 glorious Days Of Freedom and counting YAY for each and every Day WON with many more to come you sound wonderful hang onto your positive attitude because it'll get through any rough patches that you may come upon, you've got this quit firmly in your grasp deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 51 days smoke free.  Glad you introduced yourself.   Stay in touch.

Barb

indingrl

GOOD blog and thank YOU for sharing your experience strength and HOPE -  CONGRATS 51 DAYS NICOTINE FREE ! Way to go Yahoooooooooo GOOD JOB

Mandolinrain

Wonderful and THANK YOU for your service to our country!

Many congrats on your beautiful quit and hopefully we get to see you here more often

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Happy 51. Congratulations on all your progress. You sound devoted to your quit. Please use Ex to help build your confidence even stronger. It turns out that not smoking feels good!!! Thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your quit success.

0 Kudos