cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

PastTense

Odd side-effects

Has anybody else gotten leg-cramps or shin splints as part of their withdrawal from nicotine?

I have been woken up by the worst cramps in my calves for the last couple of weeks. 

I am tempted to chalk every tiny complaint to having quit smoking.  Nicotine's reach was wide and deep.

This could be something completely unrelated or it could be a brain tumor.  Y'know?

PT

Hanging on and hanging in

Day 22

Keep the Quit
PT
12 Replies
Gwenivere

I’ve gotten really bad Charlie horses, but I’m also hypothyroid.  They seem a lot worse since I’ve quit tho.  None of my docs have said they think it is from the quit.  I’ve just started chualk up a lot of things to it that I never felt before as nicotine had such a strangle hold on so much of the body.  Unlikely a brain tumor.  More likely not enough magnesium or potassium and our absorption changes when quitting.  Check with your doc.  Maybe they will be helpful.  

0 Kudos
TW517

I did.  I suspect it was because I was drinking tons more coffee than normal, as sort of a replacement for the cigs I was missing.  The coffee dehydrated me and gave me cramps.  Here's a similar discussion on this from a couple months ago: 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/200023-re-has-anyone-used-magnesium-while-quitting?commen... 

JLHargraves

Spontaneous crying. Lots of it, over the most superfluous things. I made it all the way to day six before I crumbled and started smoking again. Here's a list of the effects I experienced:

1. Sobbing.
2. Extreme gluttony.
3. Exceedingly sleepy.
4. Afraid to go anywhere. 

Ugh.

YoungAtHeart

Here's a list of withdrawal symptoms you might find helpful:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms .

The feeling that you need to eat all the time  comes from trying to fill the void that smoking used to fill.  Try increasing your exercise - even marching in place or doing a few sets of stairs will work. 

A lot of smokers self-medicated for underlying mental health issues with nicotine.  If your fear of going out continues, check with your doctor who might recommend a therapist.  You might also try going out the door every couple of hours (without thinking about it first - just open and go out as you pass it during the day).  Once you have conquered that, the next time go a step further.  Keep increasing the steps over time.  .I suffered from PTSD from a blind side car crash and was getting a panic attack every time I got in my car.  I conquered it by not thinking about it ahead of time, just grabbing my keys, getting in the car and only going around the block several times each evening, then increasing the distance over time. 

None of the things you are experiencing are REASONS to smoke; don't use them as an excuse!

Hang in there - it gets easier - I promise!

Nancy

Maryhudzik

Yes hitting my 2nd week and have found myself extremely sleepy which is the total opposite of me

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You might be dehydrated?  Hope you are keeping a cold bottle of water and sipping on it throughout the day - helps with the craves, too.

You also might try a magnesium supplement or adding foods rich in it to your diet: https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-rich-in-potassium#1 

Out of the blue (I had not quit smoking) I started with leg cramps when I was walking and the magnesium took care of it.

If those don't help, I would definitely check with your doctor.

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on day 22. Yes, I did get Charlie Horses sometimes in my sleep.  I had to ride them out. lol  Massaging helped. Keep on keepin on.

YoungAtHeart

There are also stretches that you can do to help alleviate leg cramps/Charlie Horses.  You might search for a YouTube on it.  Hard to describe - but two I do are to slowly go up on tiptoes and back down; the other starts with your hands flat on the wall, feet apart and about 2-3 feet from the wall and lean forward. You will feel your calves stretch just a bit.  Hold for a count of about 10, then do the other leg.  They helped a bunch when I was pregnant and got leg cramps nightly.

0 Kudos
cstoppa01

Could be dehydration. Also are you walking/exercising more than you used to? My husband, never a smoker, get leg cramps at night when he golfed during the day or has been driving a lot, especially on the motorcycle.