cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

katie12

Anyone else?

I'm just completing my first week of quitting and the one thing that surprised me was how down I feel. Does slight depression come from withdrawls? Other than that I'm okay with quitting so far. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
julie-rigolfi

Yea - I believe they go hand in hand. Its a big change. I am dealing with depression too. Some days are down right CRAPPY! But other days, are no big deal. Hang in there. It will pass.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Hey there, Katie! Hang in there, please! EVERY time I quit smoking I had a sensational feeling of loss. Couldn't understand it. I think that is why Zyban worked for many people. It is actually an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) that was prescribed for, well, depression and many found they could quit smoking while they were on this medication. I was taking Wellbutrin for depression and one time when I quit, I didn't have that feelling of loss. I am NOT recommending Zyban, my point is only that it is perfectly NORMAL (if there is such a thing) to grieve your "friend" when you quit. You WILL get over it. I GUARANTEE it. I will have one year smoke free on 10/26 and I never even think about smoking unless it is to think about how glad I am I quit!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Yes, Katie...I agree with both Ellen and Julie. Most of us go through a real stage of grief as if we really did lose the closest person to us and as we know, cigarettes were our right arm, so it's natural and normal to feel really sad and cry a lot, but one day soon I'm sure you'll wake up and realize that they weren't your friend, but your worst enemy. This usually happens when you get all the nicotine out of your system and your mind starts seeing things for what they really are instead of through a haze of nicotine. By the way, welcome to the group! It's so good to see you posting! Also, congratulations on getting through Hell week!
0 Kudos