cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

14Djsquitwon

Relapse traps getting back on the free breathing wagon

What happened? I thought I was unstoppable with my quit!

24 Replies
AnnetteMM

YOU tell US! What happened??

14Djsquitwon

I guess I got tired of fighting so hard, so I gave in and gave up. My inspiration expired. I know that's not good. If y'all want to be mad, please remember, it's not supposed to be a judgment zone.

Gwenivere

Definitely no judgements or anger.  AnnetteMM just asked to clarify what happened.  Often it helps to more pinpoint advice.  But just writing it was good.  Your conviction is still there and that is what matters most.  Lots of good support and caring.  We’ve all been there.  We’re all here for you.

14Djsquitwon

Thank you all so much for your help!!

AnnetteMM

It's so hard to convey proper emotions online. My "all-caps" were meant as emphasis, not anger or anything. You asked "what happened" and I asked you back. I mean, only YOU know what happened. If you're fighting too hard, can we help you figure out why?

PastTense

Not mad and not judgmental.   I have fallen off the wagon too many times to have anything but empathy.

The wagon is still there if you want to climb back on.

Do you know what happened?  You mentioned being tired.

Being brutally honest with yourself about what went wrong can set you up for success the next time.

PT

Keep the Quit
PT
marciem

I'm so sorry to read this, 14Djsquitwon‌ !  How long were you quit, and how long have you been smoking again?

It would really help to know what the circumstances were that lead to your tossing your quit...??  

We are never finished or completely done with this addiction.  It goes to sleep, but for us addicts, we must  maintain vigilance and not get over-confident or complacent.  It just doesn't work that way, as many of us, myself included, have found out.  I don't know how many times I thought I was "cured", only to fall into a  "just one to prove it" or "just one for now thru this...(fill in the blank) " trap, only to be caught back in the addiction and full time smoking.

I also relate to the "tired of the fight" feeling, but if you keep on no matter what, the fight diminishes and pretty much goes away except for little gnat-moments of thought that are easily swept away... not a fight just a flick.

We're asking what happened not to be judgmental at all, but to try to help you figure out what you can do the next time the same situation arises (it always does, that's life) , to help you learn so you won't fall into the same trap and help with coping skills to solidify your quit.

Best to you going forward!

14Djsquitwon

Thanks Marcium

0 Kudos
14Djsquitwon

*Thanks Marciem

0 Kudos