cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

Low Dose CT Lung Screening

The subject can't be brought up enough for us EX smokers.

(Warning this is a bit of a rant.)  Thanks to more and more people in our quit family here (especially Thomas3.20.2010‌) I finally had my LDCT screening last Friday.  I had to really fight to get this done.  Took months.  Literally.  Our docs office is none too swift.  First (since my husband seemed unable to get one done through our mutual GP), I thought I'd just go to his pulmonologist, because he had one ordered through her and mentioned me and she said, "sure have her make an appointment."  Then when I called her office I was told I needed a referral.  So I called my GP for a referral.  No, I had to come in in order to get a referral, couldn't do it over the phone.  OK, FINE! I can play that game.   Fortunately I have Medicare and a good secondary insurance.  They asked me who I wanted to see at my doctor's office.  I was a bit terse on the phone.  I said, "I don't care who I see, I suspect that given the fact that I have a 35+ year smoking history and a diagnosis from YOUR OFFICE of mild COPD, that it shouldn't matter who I see to get this set up. 

Go in, meet with one of the Nurse Practitioners there to discuss getting an order for an x-ray on my foot and my hand because they've been bothering me for months, AND for a referral to the pulmonologist  in order to get set up for this LDCT scan.  She said I didn't need to see a pulmo for that, she could set it up herself.  I'm surprised, but great!  I wait to hear and I hear nada for a week.  Call.  "What's happening?"  Apparently nothing.  So I encourage them to "get 'er done."  No calls come in.  I call back a week later.  "What's happening?"  I'm told that the NP should have known that a special FORM was needed to be filled out.  Well, I guess she didn't know that.  So I go in and get a copy of the FORM, fill it out  and then am still waiting for a response call a week later.  Call number 3.  "What's happening?"  Well she's been on vacation for two weeks.   I finally went in to meet with her back-from-vacation self to get the diagnosis from the Xrays (isn't there ANYBODY ELSE, like my GP whom I've gone to for 9 years that could read the diagnosis to me and discuss it?  Apparently - NO.  ) and I inquire AGAIN about getting the LDCT scan.  She says something about knowing someone at the hospital who handles the scheduling of these and will let me know.  

Finally get a call from a woman who says essentially that because my NP called her - though  she no longer does the scheduling for the scans, but because I somehow fell through the cracks  (in other words somebody really effed up) - I should contact so and so.  So I contact "so and so" and FINALLY get it set up.  

Had it done a week ago and the NP is on vacation AGAIN, so needless to say no calls came in the past week to tell me of the diagnosis.  The diagnosis is usually ready within 48 hours.  So I went to the records department at the hospital and got a copy of the diagnosis.  Not that I'm an expert in reading diagnoses, but the finding state:  "no noncalcified pulmonary nodules.  Lung RADS category 1 - negative.  Misc.:  coronary artery calcifications - no acute intrathoracic pathology."   Recommendation - come back for another screening in a year.    To me this is good news, except for the coronary artery calcifications.  But then that's kind of to be expected if you're a smoker.  Smoking not only affects the lungs but the heart!

Why am I going on at length about this process?  Because some of you may also have to go through the difficulty of setting up this scan.  And education is a great teacher.  And shall we say PURSUE IT AND PERSEVERE.

The form you fill out is very basic.  There are certain parameters that enable one to get this low dose CT lung scan for FREE.  At least here in Tennessee but I think it's probably standard across the board  (If the inline image below doesn't show up, please let me know):

pastedImage_3.png

One of the things I learned was that (at least with my local hospital) it's based on a Government grant.  I wasn't told the specific purpose of the grant (one can easily surmise), but that once the money runs out, the screening will no longer be free.  So my suggestion would be to get it done sooner than later if you can.  Not only because at the moment it's free, but it can also be a life saver.  Look at strudel and marciem as an example.  Early detection saves lives.

It's a real simple scan - lying flat on a table, your clothes are on,  arms over your head, you hold your breath as the machine does a fairly rapid, smooth pass over your chest.  "The entire chest is scanned in about 7 to 15 seconds during a single breath-hold."  (Source)  The whole thing takes about 10 minutes.  

Do it!

Tags (2)
22 Replies
meWisconsin

Glad to hear you had it done and the results were good. I know I sure sleep better after having mine done. Hopefully scheduling will go smother next time.

Terry

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Sorry you had to go through so much.   I've had one three years in a row and nothing to it.  I see my doctor once a year and the department calls me to set up the test.  As I mentioned in another post, both local hospital systems have online patient portals, so I see most of my test result pretty quickly.  I don't have to wait for someone to call me.  Doesn't your insurance cover i?.  I checked with our two major carriers in Pittsburgh and they both do.   I'm on Medicare and they cover it.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Giulia It is amazes with medical staff anymore...I go through this so often...and supposedly computers are suppose to make it so much more inefficient ... well that is total crap...and trying to get someone to care enough not to just pass you along the phone chain is crazy.  Just glad eventually it got done and you had good results...Thank you for the heads up that this is a free test...I see pulmonologist is fall and will be talking more on the subject since he wouldn’t let me do this test in the winter while I was having pulmonology problems...

On a side note...we lived in Jackson TN for about 6 years (one of my favorite places we were transferred) ...anyways that is where I planted lantania for the first time and it loved TN...would grow beautiful...

Have a beautiful Saturday friend...I am off to the gym...~ Colleen 215 DOF 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Well I hope yours is a whole lot easier to get scheduled! sweetplt‌  Happy gymming!

Yes, definitely good to get it out of one's head, Terry.  Maybe next time I'll be going to a different doc! meWisconsin

Yes, Medicare covers it, currently.  Nice to know your GI doc trusts you like that.  A nurse gets 3 tries with a needle stick and then I say "THAT'S IT, get a butterfly or a different nurse, I'm not a pin cushion!"  (A butterfly needle, for those that don't know, makes it easier to get into fragile veins or ones that roll.) Barbscloud

Barbara145  Thanks for the info on plaque, Barbara.  I have a physical in a couple of months and will get more info then. 

marciem‌  Oh, ooooh, you had to let that thing grow in you so it could be removed.  Oh that is just icky to think about in the mind.  Ned.  What a name.  At least it was Ned and not Doc (definitely obviously cancer).  As far as the coverage of the test - just passing on what was told to me about the grant.

0 Kudos
Barbara145

So glad all is o.k.  I have plaque in my coronary arteries.  I heard a doctor talking about that even some children have plaque in their arteries.  Plaque isn't the problem inflammation of them is. A healthy life style and being knowledgeable about not becoming inflamed is. I had no problem with scheduling in Virginia.  I also have Medicare and a supplement.  Enjoy your week-end.

0 Kudos
marciem

That's great news, Giulia‌ ... and an awesome post.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.  You'd think things would run like clockwork in this day and age of electronic communication, patient portals (mine suck) and most of the time not even undressing for dr's. appts. etc.  Should give them time to render a wee bit better service, no?  Apparently not for you   .  Good on you for being persistent!!

I don't understand some of what you said, really.  Medicare covers it fully, as of (I think) 2015.  The form looks pretty standard for the exam to be covered.

The only hoop I had to jump thru basically was my own practitioner's lack of knowledge, with "its expensive" and "Not necessary"  ... but the news was just hitting (early 2016) in some areas (like mine) of the importance of this exam for smokers and previous smokers, as well as Medicare completely covering it.  It was only delayed 6 months, and worked out, since when diagnosed my tumor was so small it was on the edge of "biopsy-able" and "too small to biopsy" so it had its growing time which is disgusting for me to think about that thing growing in me.  But Ned (my name for it, based on radiation oncologists "no evidence of disease") is most sincerely dead now, that's what counts.    .

The exam saves lives.  Even if not covered by insurance, one quote I have seen is $415. for self-pay (this is at Stanford University) which in the scheme of your life and most health-care costs is pretty reasonable.

Barbscloud

I know everyone has issues now days with health care.  Of course, I've had issues and have taken care of many family members.  But I have some wonderful doctors.   And lets face it, like in any profession, that are medical personal that are incompetent.  I always try to develop a "personal" relationship with them.   I think that is very important.  Here's a perfect example.   I was at the hospital visiting a family member and was in the gift shop.  My GI doc came in with here 3 or 4 year old.  She needed to see a patient and asked if I would watch her and pick out a stuffed animal for her.  Obviously, she thought she knew me well enough to trust me.  My PCP was well informed about the lung CT.  I'm so happy for the two patient portals I use.  If the doctor isn't on top of things, I AM.  I keep myself informed and I speak up.   I don't wait for them to contact me.  They could have never even seen your test.   If something about the test is questionable, I contact them.   I was in the hospital for 12 days about 1 1/2 years go.  That's where things really fall apart!  Of course the first couple of days, I wasn't totally with it, but I wasn't happy with the PCP they assigned so I complained.  The department head came to see and they assigned a different one.  Some nurses can't put IV's in.  Get me one that can!   Etc.   It's so important now days to be an advocate for others and yourself.

My biggest complaint  is that they started centralizing appointment scheduling.  The person you're speaking with has limited knowledge.  But, you can ask them to contact the office.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I'm well versed on butterfly needles and there's also pediatric.  It's actually as skill, that some don't have!

0 Kudos
Giulia

"It's actually as skill, that some don't have!" Well then they should practice on themselves until they LEARN it!  lol