cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

No Excuses

Hope this comes off with the intent I want it to and not a scolding.

Many of us during our quit journey slipped up and gave in a number of times bringing us back to the pull of the Nico-demon.  Smoke me you'll feel better.  I just need One cigarette to get through the day.  I'll quit tomorrow, etc.

That was me many times and as I think back to my previous quits I realized that I didn't have faith in myself or the strength to get through a few minutes of withdrawals.  Had I kept focused, instead of soon celebrating my One Year Quit I would be celebrating Year 4.  Sure, what's done is done and now I am a non smoker but look at all the years it took.

My message in this post is to say BE STRONG.  Don't let it take you a number of years to be smoke free.  Stand your ground, face your fears and reach out for support. Scream, Cry, Shout; do whatever it takes to stay on this amazing journey.  

WE ARE STRONGER THAN NICOTINE  

5 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Ralph1955 great message and so true...we are stronger then Nico and we need to stay focused on our quits...Have a Happy Sunday ~ Colleen 209 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

And another good realization when you are successful is this:  I quit smoking; I can do ANYTHING to which I set my mind.  How cool is THAT?!

marciem

Hope this comes off with the intent I want it to and not a scolding.

Good post, and nicely put, and surely not scolding, Ralph!!

Some of us (I include myself) NEED a scold or a kick in the pants when we have allowed ourselves to be lured back by the "Just one", "just today", "When my boss gets off my back", "i've quit, I deserve a reward" or whatever the nicotine addiction tells our antsy craving brain for the moment.  

There is absolutely no valid reason to smoke.  Only excuses.  We've all (or mostly all) fallen for them.  and it is way far easier, no  matter how difficult in the moment, to hold on to the quit we have going than it is to start a new one.  Took be 10 years one time, there was always a "reason" to put it off.

elvan

I quit so many times and had so many excuses for smoking again, I think my first serious quit was when I was in my 20's but NOOOOOO, I kept going back, it was too hard, I couldn't think, blah, blah, blah.  I finally quit for GOOD over five years ago, when I was 64 and I did significant damage to my lungs...don't be me!

Ellen

Strudel

Very important message - thanks for sharing!