cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

As of June 1, 2019 there is a $200.00 fine for smokers in San Antonio Texas in some popular locations

As a June 1, 2019 smokers will no longer be allowed to light up in a variety of popular outdoor locations around San Antonio Texas.  If you are planning on visiting San Antonio Texas check out this article so your friends and family members won’t get fined $200.00 for smoking cigarettes, cigars, vaping or dipping in the wrong place. It states in this article the areas you can’t smoke anymore are on the river walk, at La Villita or a Greenway trail as of June 1st.  

Here is the link to this information.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/no-smoking-policy-in-parks-river-walk

7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

The weather was a perfect 73 degrees when I was in Germany and Switzerland - just perfect to sit outside at the plentiful outdoor cafes....except for the fact they were all filled with smokers and thus were not available without second hand smoke.

I agree wholeheartedly with this measure - and wish it were the case for ALL common visitor areas.  When I was a smoker, though, I, too, would have felt that my rights were being infringed upon.  Addiction is an overpowering master.

So glad I'm not its slave anymore!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

I remember being SO happy I could smoke at an outdoor cafe, never realizing at all the effect on others. Addiction really does mess with the mind.

Legend

Now that I don’t smoke anymore I like the new rules coming out. I can also see a lot of people getting really pissed off that still smoke but they will have to find a way to deal with this. I hope people won’t turn to drinking more because of the new no smoking rules on the river walk there are small places to go in and drink along the way.

marciem

It took me a long time to get here, I always figured everyone has the right to choose, so who am I or the gov't to infringe on that right?  Of course i felt that way as a smoker, but even as an early non-smoker I still thought that.

I don't any more.

I almost laughed at the quote from one person who was objecting to the ordinance : "I'm not saying I'm a heavy smoker but at the same time, when does it stop? Where does the boundary stop? Why even have tobacco companies? Why even have smoking? Why even have cigarettes and cigars?" he said. 

Well, yeah?  THAT I agree with... why have them at all?

The old aphorism comes to mind... "My liberty ends where yours begins", or further "My right to swing my arms ends at your nose" the last seeming particularly appropriate in this case (My cigarette laden hand wafting smoke up your nose).  I'm also debating the difference between "right to choose" and "right to smoke".  Why is smoking a right?  Drug use isn't a right, at least not yet for the most part.

TBH, it won't end with this particular  limited ordinence, and I think we have all seen it. And I'm at the "The sooner the better" stage of wanting to outlaw tobacco use completely.  Must be getting old  .

You can't smoke in bars in California, or even near the entrance/exits in some places.  They haven't gone out of business.  

indingrl

COOL and thanks for info - ❤ YOU MY beloved Christine- so joy filled to read from YOU- gentle hug.

sweetplt

I like this, the more inconvenient they make smoking, the more will jump on the quitting journey...Thank you for sharing...~ Colleen 181 DOF 

elvan

I think it's great, I am sure I would have been offended when I still smoked but NOW, I realize how the smoke travels and how everyone has a right to breathe clean air.  I think the more people recognize that and the more ordinances that are put in place, the BETTER.