cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Apilling09

When will insomnia go away?

7 weeks into my quit and have had insomnia for a week and a half, definitely due to anxiety and now anxiety about not being able to sleep. I do not want to smoke again but I can’t help but think that I could sleep if I did. I’ve made it this far. My withdrawal was not the typical case, no symptoms for almost two weeks after my last smoke. I smoked for 13 years, I don’t want to go back but I need sleep! Trying to stay strong, one day at a time. 

Tags (1)
8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry that you have to deal with insomnia.  It was hard.  My insomnia seemed to last for almost sixty days.  It started about 48 hrs into my quit.  taking naps during the day or whenever you can help.  Are you using any medications.  I have heard that melatonin helps.  Check with your doctor. 

Apilling09

Thank you for responding. I have tried some melatonin but I haven’t tried anymore than 2mg, will try to up the dose. My doctor also prescribed my Trazodone today for sleep which I will try tonight. 

YoungAtHeart

Everybody is different, and so are the withdrawal symptoms.  One person won't experience insomnia, while another may seem to experience it for awhile.  There are some things you can do to try to help. though.  Caffeine has a stronger effect when you quit, so try eliminating it after, say 2 PM.  Be sure to turn off electronics at least a couple of hours before bed, and make sure your room is totally dark and cool in temperature.  You can try a melatonin supplement, or heat up a bit of hot milk  (add vanilla and a tiny bit of sugar if you don't like the taste) right before bed.  Keep a book or crossword puzzle by the bed and if you aren't asleep after about an hour, don't lie there and fret.  If you can take it, Benadryl has a side effect of drowsiness.  Grab sleep when you can.  It's OK to go to bed earlier and get up earlier if that helps.  Take naps if they are available to you.

Hang in there - the only way out is through!!  Try to revel in how far you have come!!

Nancy

Apilling09

Thank you for the advice and for the words of encouragement. 

Alicatsam

I tried Benadryl for allergies. One did absolutely nothing. Two put me out of commission for a few hours.

MarilynH

I talked to my pharmacist when I first quit smoking about taking  Melatonin to help me sleep and she said it was fine and suggested 5mg to start with so I took it for a couple of months and it really helped me and also I've taken Gravol which also helps but talk to your pharmacist to see if it's right for you, sleep will come back the sooner the better for sure, congrats on 7 precious Smokefree weeks hugs. ....

Apilling09

Thank you! 

sweetplt

Another help Celestial Herbal tea (Chamomile vanilla) will help..but if Doctor tells you to take Trazadone...that should take care of insomnia...~ Colleen 163 DOF