cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lebenn2

Long time quit so why these occasional weird dreams?

I’m some 400 and odd days since my last cigarette! I’m immeasurably happy about this. It’s made a huge change to my life and also my families life. I don’t get cravings any more and heck I’ve managed to get through having my little one in PICU without relapsing. 

Every now and again though I have these random dreams and I’ll see myself with a cigarette or when I’m looking in my handbag I find myself looking for my box of cigs. It passes and then I’m fine . It’s just so weird . I have no intention of ever smoking again and I can honestly say 99% of the time I feel like a non smoker.

does this happen to anyone else or am I just weird?

6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Happens to most, if not all, of us.  After almost seven years I don't find myself looking for them anymore, but still have what we call a "smokemare" every once in awhile.  No explanation for it!

If you are like most of us, we smoked for a really long time, and the trigger/association/habit part of the addiction is probably something we will carry with us for a very long time.  The "something is missing" part may end at some point for you...that part did end for me.  I still, though, might find myself thinking, :"gee, but a cigarette would be nice right now!"  Easy to dismiss, but it happens usually as a reward for a job well done break, or in a situation with which  I haven't had a lot of repetitions, like sitting on a balcony at the beach, or on the sand watching the sun rise with my coffee.  A shake of the head and a smile that I don't do that anymore is enough to get past it.

Nancy

Lebenn2

Thanks Nancy,

you summed it up perfectly . Atleast now I know I’m not just crazy lol. I spent so long telling my self I couldn’t do it I’m so happy I finally made my self. 

I smoked for about 17 years in all and I was a pack a day smoker (on a bad day I could get up to 2)

i don’t miss them at all and seeing others smoking doesn’t make me want one at all . I shake my self out of it but I do hope it quits because I’m sometimes really annoyed at myself for it .

thanks for the support 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

No reason to be annoyed.  You aren't doing anything wrong.  These things are perfectly normal!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I use those little quirks as a reminder of NOPE and not to become complacent and as an awareness that the journey. continues...

green1611

It does happen!. This does show physically not threat, but in mind, the nicodemon still trying to bring back you as you were 400 days back. This needs to be sorted out. Be calm and say no to Nicotine. 

Good is to keep telling mind, I do not need nicotine any more. I am not dependent on it. I am free from slavery!. Telling it to conscious mind, even if there are no cravings, no desire, no wish at all, still ...NOPE. May work while mind is unconscious.

0 Kudos
indingrl

CONGRATS 400 NON SMOKER DAYS AND GOOD JOB!