cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Those who have past still near?

On Saturday at work while working on a client I saw my grandfather who had passed in 1969.  It was a brief second and after the smell of burning leaves.  When I was a kid I would help him rake up the leaves and put them in a large barrel then burn them.  Every time I smell burning leaves I know grandpa is near me.  The client that I was working on grabbed my hand and asked if she could ask me a question.  I was shocked when she asked if I knew a tall, bald, older man with a cane whose name she thought was Italian.  I guess my eyes caused her to realize that I did.  I told her yes, that was my grandfather who died in 1969.  She said, he's standing next to you smiling.  With that I told her how odd it was that I already knew because I saw him and told her about the burning leaves.  She felt his love for me and thinks he was there because of my mom, his daughter.  Then I felt a touch on my shoulder and immediately she said his hand is on your shoulder.

Just wondering if grandpa wants me to know it's ok what my sister and I are doing and he understands.  

6 Replies
AnnetteMM

Our sense of smell provokes the most powerful memories. Close your eyes, breathe deep, and you're taken back to another time and place. I don't know about spirits, but I love your story.

SimplySheri

I think it's a lovely story, Ralph, and I never close the door on the possibility that our loved ones stay near us.  Love never dies and sweet memories help us carry on.  So feel comforted by the glimpse of your grandpa and the smells that invoke his memory.  You are loved.  Hugs.

Barbscloud

I don't know if those moments are "real" or not, but they invoke cherished memories of those we've loved.  I'm glad you had the moment to experience.

Barb

indingrl

I love stories filled with GOOD memories and for YOU to share how you live your OWN non smoker life style is good and WAY TO GO - N.O.P.E.- yahooooooo GOOD JOB walking YOUR OWN talk- gentle hug- not one puff ever- no matter what - thanks for sharing YOUR OWN experience strength and HOPE.

JACKIE1-25-15

Things happen, sometimes we may never have the answer to why they happen.  Some are sweet reminders to relish on the feelings of those moments or seconds that may not happen again. Enjoy your special memories.  Thanks for sharing.  Good job on your quit. 

elvan

This is lovely and, personally, I absolutely believe that your grandfather was offering you comfort.

Ellen