cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Barb102

Does smoking cause diabetes too?

Now I’ve just been diagnosed with Diabetes. Does smoking cause that too. I’m really down about this. Suggestions advise would be greatly appreciated 

13 Replies
Barbscloud

Unfortunately, yes.  Should we be surprised--it causes everything else.  Sorry to hear that.  There are some people on the site that can give you some insight.

AnnetteMM

Being old and overweight doesn't help either, or so I'm told...by my doctor.  Ugh.

TW517

Just a word of caution on your "diagnosis".  I was diagnosed as a diabetic at a same day clinic I went into for fainting spells I was having.  My A1C came back at 6.4, and the doc told me I had diabetes and to immediately slash carbs from my diet.  When I followed up with my doctor 2 weeks later, she told me that 6.4 was only "pre-diabetic" and ordered me to go home and have a pizza.  We worked out a very reasonable diet and exercise plan that brought my number down to 6.0 within 3 months.  It stayed there for a couple of years until just last week at my annual physical.  I have now quit smoking for 21 months, and my A1C is down to 5.4.

sweetplt

Sorry to hear this Barb...~ I do not know...if smoking causes diabetes, but once I was told that cigarettes/nictoine is fermented in sugar, hence why we crave sugar when we quit...I am not sure I ever found this as factual...so anxious to see some answers you will get from other's...~ Gotcha in my Thoughts...~ Colleen

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Barb?? I am so sorry.  Sometimes weight gain in the middle area can cause certain types.

There is a fabulous book out about Plant based foods only that mot only makes you healthy, with a new life style of eating, gets rid of Diabetes for many.  

Please watch "Forks over Knives"  on Netflix.  It will help you feel better, and help you understand how bad so many foods are.. All the wonderful doctors who support their findings for decades.

DonnaMarie

Hi Barb,

I was diagnosed with PCOS, which is associated with insulin resistance, in my 20s. So I was what they now call pre-diabetic for a long, long time. My mother had full blown diabetes from her 40s forward, and so have I. At this stage, food is your best friend. Learn about lower carb eating (not NO carbs!). Get a little exercise in. Smoking doesn't cause diabetes, but it can worsen the complications, if you have any (which I don't). Ask questions anytime. It's not a death sentence. I recommend seeing an endocrinologist earlier rather than later. 

Hugs!

Donna

indingrl

Please Google your question- and read for yourself the info given thank you -  MY husband had diabetes and obey the doc- LIFE STYLE CHANGE - NO SUGAR- VEGGIES AND FISH  - EXERCISE EVERY DAY- WALKING HALF HOUR- he could only walk ten minutes - over weight- in the beginning- now he walks weather permitting - during lunch break and 3 times a week on bowflex machine at home 4 years now- each workout is 15 minutes bowflex .3 times a week and walk at work 20 minutes - uses lunch break- he used to smoke pot- 24 YEARS AGO- he no longer has diabetes HE is a RECOVERING DIABETIC!!!! 

Strudel

I am so sorry Barb. Does your doctor think you can impact it with changes in diet and exercise? I am sure it is very overwhelming at this point.....I certainly hope that there will be ways to help make it better. Take care! 

0 Kudos
elvan

I have honestly never heard that before, Barb.  I suspect that you need to be screened again.  I have a brother who has kept diabetes at bay for years now, he never smoked.  I am sure that we crave sweets after we quit because we are looking for some sort of comfort...I think you have a LOT on your plate right now with the diagnosis of COPD and the recommendation of Pulmonary Rehab, please try to concentrate on eating right and doing whatever exercise you can.  Give this a little time before you jump in with both feet and remember that diabetes can be treated with diet and exercise and sometimes oral medications, it's not like a jump into insulin injections.  Get the lungs under control...If you have diabetes, it is early and it may very well be temporary.  

You know that one day at a time thing?  How about one diagnosis at a time too.

Love,

Ellen

0 Kudos