cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

dian

hey you guys

no one's checking in??? how's everyone's quits doing. I've made it to day 8.....

Jennifer!!! how's you doing?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jennifer59

Hi Dian
I made it to day three.
After my "trial run" last week, things do seem much easier this time around. Don't know if it is just that my resolve is stronger and I know what to expect or, if maybe I just needed one more weekend of being a smoker.

Over the weekend I finally began to realize how terrible it made me feel and how awful it made me smell. I could feel my lungs clogging up and my throat really hurt.

I only smoked like 5 cigs on Saturday and on Sunday too but...man, I really could feel the effect it had on my body.

Kind of helped me to realize that this really is something I have to do for myself.

So, now I am starting day three (again) and trying hard to keep my mouth shut when people say stupid things (which happens a lot lately).

Kevin is on day three as well.

Yeah for you Dian, Keep it up, you are doing great. I am just trying to keep up with you now. 🙂
0 Kudos
dian

Maybe it's easlier because you had a reminder..... I remember the awful taste and being dizzy when ever I would smoke a cig...... problem was, I would bum one everytime I wanted one, which was here and there and still think I'm a non-smoker........ thanks to you and others, I've learned never to touch one again......

Well, while you are behind me, don't look at my spreading butt LOL........ I'm gaining weight........ GRRRRRR
0 Kudos
jennifer59

I really wish I could offer you advice on your weight gain but, I have learned that no matter what you eat, your metabolism changes when you quit and you will gain weight.

My clothes aren't fitting very well any more either and chocolate has become my new best friend.

I am trying hard to walk every day and at least keep in shape.

I haven't stepped on a scale since started to quit but, I have convinced myself that the healthier, non smoking me will not have that much difficulty losing the weight once I have become a successful quiter, Hey, I figure at least I will have the time and energy to exercise!!!!!

Don't worry about the weight gain for now. Just try to keep it reasonably under control. All that extra energy you have from not smoking can go into getting yourself back into shape. (or...maybe even the money you save can go into a club membership - - that could be healthy and fun)

Keep it up, you are doing great.
0 Kudos
chris-s

I'm still hanging in here at Day 5. Surprisingly, it hasn't been too difficult, although I still can't get over being restless, and I just don't feel like doing anything, even at work. I think this is because when I smoked, I would always smoke before and after I completed something. Now that I can't do that, it seems like my body and mind do not want to start working on the things I should be working on.

Ugh. Hopefully it'll get better.

I have quit for 4 Days, 23 hours, 32 minutes and 45 seconds (4 days). I have saved $20.66 by not smoking 99 cigarettes. I have saved 8 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date was 5/9/2008 5:25 PM
0 Kudos
jennifer59

Chris,
You know, you are exactly right. I thought I was doing something wrong. All the quitters I know told me that they just kept busy around the house and at work. They couldn't believe how much they got done after they quit. But, I am on day 4 today and just find myself sitting quietly trying to keep relaxed.

Problem is, when I get up to do something I want that smoke first sooo, I never quite get started on anything.

If I do get something started and completed I wander around for a while afterwards b/c I always ended things with a smoke as well.

Thank you, I thought I was going nuts.

Guess we need to find something else to start and finish with. Maybe a good stretch or something???

Keep up the great work. It has got to get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lemme know if you find anything that works.
0 Kudos
dian

It's that focus thing. I tried to do a lot too during that period and I would end up really doing nothing. It's not being able to focus and being bored and when we were bored before, we would smoke. Now we don't.

the weight gain is really getting to me.......... I've been walking but it doesn't seem to help...
0 Kudos