cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BugsNBats14

A POUND A DAY...

Doctor visit today was shocking for both of us. A smoker since 14, my doctor was shocked I had quit at 62. We were BOTH shocked at my weight gain of 36 pounds since quitting in December!  OMG. Didn't realize I switched addictions from nicotine to food. Must admit the news was very painful and caused tremendous stress  from temptation to buy cigarettes. HELP.

22 Replies
indingrl

Please THINK what YOUR thinking about- using nicotine to COPE with weight gain- it took time to gain the weight- it will take time to lose the weight- you aint alone in gaining weight- CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB STAYING NICOTINE FREE! Gentle hug.

0 Kudos
BugsNBats14

You are right.

Thank you.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 5:15 PM indingrl.01.06.2011 <

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You need to eat 200 LESS calories a day just to keep your weight at its pre-quit level (smoking increases your metabolism and reduces your appetite).  But , smoking ALSO will kill you - and there is nothing preventative you can do about it.  Now is the time to increase your daily exercise, substitute a healthy snack in between the calorie-rich ones, watch your portions and maybe use some of your savings from not buying cigarettes to join a gym. 

Don't diet quite yet - that can come when your quit is well in hand. 

Sorry it was such a shock - but you are STILL doing the best thing you can for your health by quitting!

Nancy

BugsNBats14

Thank you for the smart advice.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 5:18 PM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

TW517

I gained 26 lbs just as quickly.  Couldn't believe it, since I had always been underweight all my life.  I leveled out at that additional 26 until 8 months into my quit.  But honestly, I didn't even try to do anything about it until then.  I was so hooked on snacks and candy, I thought it was the price I would have to pay forever to maintain my quit.  Then my wife asked me if I wanted to join her in doing Weight Watchers.  She had been so encouraging to me in my cigarette quit, I said yes.

As shocked as I was at gaining so much so fast, I was equally shocked at how quickly it came back off.  It wasn't super easy, but not super hard either.  I lost it all and a couple pounds more in 2 and 1/2 months.  A lot of people here, and my doctor as well, strongly encouraged me not to worry about my weight gain until my cigarette craving was well under control.  Many suggested a year at least before any new diet regimen.  So, it's up to you when/if you want to start doing something about it.  Really though, it is something you can do without too much difficulty when you are more established in your quit.

sweetplt

Oh Wow...yes...it still better you quit smoking and now it is time to get a handle on your weight gain.  Can you choose some healthier snacks (ie., carrots, celery, etc.,) and start exercising.  Did the Doctor have any recommendations? 

I have always watched my weight and exercised with cigarettes and now without .. so not to sure what to say, other than start looking on line for a healthy food plan.  ~ also, you may want to read DonnaMarie blog ... she quit smoking and after sometime decided to follow a healthy way of life...eating and exercising...~ going back to smoking will not help you lose that weight...trust me...~ Colleen

Mandolinrain

I agree with everyone. I decided when I quit I was not going to punish myself and diet when I was craving to smoke. So I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth to this day since quitting. But I allow myself to treat myself and comfort myself with that over a smoke. Heres how I do it. 

I drink a lot of water and I always drink a water before any snack or meal. Sometimes Tea, green tea and ginger are my favorites. I walked 3-4-5 miles a day weather permitting. ( I used a minitramp also alot). Jumping away the craves instead of smoking them .I make sure i have plenty of healthy snacks...think colorful refrigerator- carrots, grapes red and black and strawberries, blueberries...watermelon, all melon, pre--cut slices of cucumber.

Yes its alot of work but I enjoyed the prep. Play some fun music as you do it!

Read about intermittent fasting. This is key for me. I do it nearly everyday and I do not deprive myself at all. I can eat whatever I want. My Dr. even promotes it. Many videos about it. I tend to follow the book Delay Don't Deny, by Gin Stephens. It works for me.

Most importantly though, do not be so hard on yourself. The weight comes off easier than you think.  Think portion size and quality of what you're eating. I also keep a jug of sliced cucumber water and I have water defuser bottles around I drink from alot so I am drinking water with real fruit in it.

This is just me, what I did and do. Right now focus on that quit and do not deprive yourself if the choice comes between food and a smoke. Eat please, smile and know its is very natural to put on weight when we quit and it will come off....I promise  

Good to have you here and congrats on your quit!

Tabbiekat

During my quit in 2017 I avoided the scale for 3 months. Prior to quitting I was following the daily intermittent fasting (IF) plan. I know the first 3-4 weeks I was not that good at following it and also had a lot more sweets then I normally would, but after I reached my one month quit I got back to being more consistent with the IF plan and by the time I was 3 months quit I saw my doctor for a general follow up and had lost 11 lbs in the 3 months. I relapsed a few months ago , but I am on my 2nd week of not smoking now. When I quit this time I decided March 1st would be when I start back to the IF plan and just overall healthy eating. I am sure I have put on a few lbs the last couple of weeks, but I am okay with that. I know the weight will come off and a few extra lbs for a few weeks is going to be a lot better for me then continued smoking. Hold tight to your quit, but just make small changes to help get your whole body healthy. You got this

Tabbie

BugsNBats14

Thank you.

If you have time can you tell me terms of IF...or send a link?

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 6:20 PM Tabbiekat <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos