cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rick15

becareful with chantix

i am a diabetic and chantix made my bloodsugars skyrocket to 600, that is coma range in case you don't know. the first time i took chantix was in 03/07 quit for a month but discontinued because of the bloodsugars and nausea. this march i quit again using chantix because i had a major surgery and needed to quit again. i stayed quit for 6 weeks but my insulin usage quadrupled and i had to go off the medication again, with 2 weeks i started smoking again. I now am on zyban and the patch starting tomorrow a hope the outcome is good. i'm not bashing chantix it does work but at what cost. the changes are permanent i now take alot more insulin than i used to. please becareful when trying chantix you may feel horrid because of bloodsugar as well as the depression and nausea.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Thanks for your input on chantix Rick. Good luck with the patch and Zyban!!
Crystal
0 Kudos
carol-hetzler

Rick, sorry to hear you had blood sugar problems on Chantix. I just started it for the third (and hopefully last) time this past Monday (5/19/08). I, too, am a diabetic, Type II, non-insulin dependant. I take Byetta and so far have had no problems with Chantix raising my blood sugars. (Wish I could say the same for Abilify, which I take for Bipolar Disorder. That pops my sugars about 40 points.) Be interesting to find out if there is a reaction between insulin and Chantix. Have you asked your diabetes doc? I wish you the best with the patch and Zyban and I do hope the increase in insulin dosage isn't permanent. I'm sure your diabetes people have already told you all this but please stick to your diabetes diet and try to walk 30 minutes every day. It really helps me. My last A1C was 6.0 and I've gone from 312 lbs to 224 lbs. Blessings. Carol
0 Kudos