cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

nancy41

New to the group

Hi! I am new to the group and new to Chantix. Tomorrow will be my first day taking it. I must admit I was almost not going to take it after reading about some of the adverse reactions, but after reading a lot of the posts here with many of the people only experiencing nausea I am going to go ahead and do it. I have been a smoker for over 36 years. Any hints or tips for me?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
miriam3

Congratulations on taking the first step in taking back your life. The best tip I can offer is that you take chantix for the complete 12 weeks and that you be patient. Go back and read all the blogs, it will help a lot. Good luck. Chnatix really works!!!!!
0 Kudos
nancy41

Thanks Miriam! I have been reading a lot of the posts and I am very encouraged by what I have read! I have been getting myself ready for this for a few weeks now and I have been telling myself I am a non smoker. Even this morning while I am not 'craving' a cigarette habit is telling me I hould have one! Did you have a problem with that?
0 Kudos
karen19

Yes you will have those habit forming thoughts. Talk yourself out of them and into something else. It will work. You sound like me when I deceided to quit. I planned for it andthe craving was not as strong, then it was just getting out of the habit. I still have times and can get through them. The longer I am with out the habit the easier it is to be proud of myself an not let the buggers get to ma any more. 200.00! I have not spend money on smoking for almost 4 weeks! Yeah that is another great achivement. I can't wait to hear how you do. Be honest with yourself and it will work better.
0 Kudos
nancy41

Karen, I think it is great that you have not smoked for 4 weeks! I am really looking forward to being able to say that myself! I am hoping that I will be strong enough to resist the habit temptations! Years ago when I tried to quit I actually washed my kitchen walls! Who knows - maybe I will do them again!
0 Kudos
karen19

I ripped the carpet out of my living room during the first weekend I quit! My husband came home and was puzzled but we found out we had wood floors. I was not crazy, I just could not stand the odor. I washed my drapes, windows and anything I could get my hands on.
0 Kudos
miriam3

I detoxed my whole house, closets, clothes, walls, EVERYTHING. I bought these wonderful volcanic stones in Home Depot that absorb odors and placed one in every closet. ( by the way, they work wonderfully), I also cleaned everything that had glass, its incredible how nicotine sticks to glass, tv screens, pc monitor, anything with glass. Everybody tells me my complexion is so much better. I think I had nicotine coming out of my pores already.
0 Kudos
sue38

Well done Nancy! I am starting Chantix for the second time, best advise...just keep plugging away. I drank a LOT of water last time and that helped me with the side effects. I was so amazed that I didn't need cigarettes when I was finally able to put them down, I hope you will be too. I have been smoking for around the same amount of time as you, it is a LOT easier with Chantix, just don't give up and if you break down and smoke just put them away ASAP and keep trying, we have smoked for years and as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day...Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
nancy41

Thanks for the encouragement Sue! Since this is my first day on Chantix I am allowed to smoke - and I have. But the funny thing is that I haven't really enjoyed one yet. I am just going through the motions. Habit I guess. I am going to follow the plan. My husband is supportive of this. He quit smoking a year and a half ago, so when my quit date comes along there won't be any cigarettes around to tempt me!
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
betty12

I am starting Chantix today also. I have smoked for almost as long as you (35 years). I am not nervous about quitting smoking. I am more nervous about staying quit. I have quit in the past only to go back to cigatettes. I hop Chantix will help me stay off of cigarettes.
0 Kudos