cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Nicotine and Meds

Since starting the patches I’ve noticed a change with my anxiety disorder meds.  They don’t seem as effective.  Obviously the only thing that has changed is the delivery system from cigs to patches.  My doctor doesn’t know and reading the net can tell you anything.  Anyone have any idea where I could find accurate information?  I’ve also just dropped from 14mg to 7mg patches for 9 days.  So there is that withdrawl to figure in.  Both have the pretty much the same withdrawl symptoms to complicate it more.

17 Replies
anaussiemom

I prefer 7 mg over 14 mg.  14 and up made me very nervous.   That is all I know.  Hope someone can help

AnnetteMM

Have you gotten any medical advice about it? I know the patches deliver nicotine differently, probably more effectively, than smoking.

Gwenivere

No, I haven’t found any place to find answers.  I see my doc tomorrow but I doubt she will know.  It’s more a scientific question as I found out checking the net.  Some places say no, others yes.  I guess I could  try a pharmacist.  They see much more  of interactions than doctors.  All I know is something is going haywire.  

I’m on day 11 of the 7mg patches and going crazy.  I thought I would be more adjusted to them by now, but if this is a twofold problem, I have no idea what to do.  I feel barely functional.  Add in the relentless back problems.  I’m extremely pissed off at my doc for letting my anxiety meds lapse for over a week (thank gawd I had an emergency stash or I’d be having seizures) and my counselor as we had a phone session scheduled today, so she scheduled a walk with a friend.  I told her I wasn’t sure I wanted to do phone but I’d call her when I got up.  I opted to do it and found out she made these other plans.  She said she misunderstood and I say bullsh*t.  I have the email I sent her.  I already don’t feel I mean anything to anyone being alone now.   

I’m just babbling now and have to call for my session and spend part of that hour dealing with this anger.  And I’m paying her!  It’s no wonder I’m at wits end, IMO.

Gwenivere

Now that I have experienced both sides and different deliveries, I think smoking was much more effective.  I could go hours without one without feeling the side effects of withdrawl.  The patches are slow, constant and you don’t absorb all it says.  I think I read it was 80%.  Take it off to sleep and you really cut what you get.  I just dropped to 7mg patches and my brain and body are going bonkers.  Since this is affecting my anxiety disorder.I feel might be some withdrawal from those meds which I read is very common.  I can't find a reliable source for an answer beyond conflicting google searches.  I know one person with this disorder who quit and said it was harder than he thought on the anxiety side.

karenjones

Gwenivere,    Cigarettes cause anxiety, because you are in a state of constant withdrawal.... the only time there is no snxiety is when smoking..... Cigarettes also caused me to be very depressed.... yes.  Damned things.  Are you in a 'sharing circle' for lack of a better word?  there was one for people trying to get off of smoking at our local hospital, mental health and addictions dept.  it was kind of like AA for smokers.  I went and it was helpful.

Gwenivere

Karen, I was smoking a long time before I got Panic Disorder.  It’s genetic and runs in my family.  I looked around for nicotine groups and couldn’t find anything in my area except a phone conference to call into.  It was disappointing.  I can call the state quit smoking line to talk to coaches and hope I get a good one.  Last one sounded bored.  

0 Kudos
karenjones

Hi AnnetteMM‌  from what I understand there is only one drug delivery system which is more efficient than cigarettes, and that is the insulin pump. Cigarettes have additatives which make them more basic so we are essentially free basing nicotine by smoking cigarettes. The nicotine in cigarettes goes into the pulmonary artery via the lungs and then straight to the brain.  with patches the nicotine goes more slowly in the venous system and is actually cleared by the liver before it gets to the brain.  This is a good talk, if you have the time.... it is for doctors, but  we can figure it out.  I found it helpful. It is called the Zombies of smoking cessation...... my ths that are not true, but that will not die.  I found it very helpful.  Dr. Andrew Pipe: The Zombies of Smoking Cessation - YouTube 

sweetplt

Hi Gwenivere 

I hope your Doctor can help, however I think speaking to your pharmacist is a good idea.  Good luck today.

Gotcha in my heart and thoughts~ hate that you have to feel so bad ~ Colleen

Gwenivere

My doc did up my anxiety meds a bit.  I have more than this quit going too so it’s tough.  Having blizzard conditions in Seattle, my spine is really bad from added activity, almost impossible to do my volunteering.  Doubt I will see my counselor this week.  Thanks, Colleen.