cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Minor rant

I have mentioned before that a family member living with me smokes. She smokes outside just like I did when I smoked. Anyway, the smell is driving me nuts. I'm hoping I become desensitized to it over time, but what's the deal with that? Was I so seriously nose blind that I didn't realize I (and you) smelled that way? She'll walk by and the fragrance wafts through the air as she passes. I'll go in the bathroom after she's been in there and smell it. I smell her jacket when it's on the back of the chair. When I'm doing my mile walk out back, I can smell it when she comes on her deck to have a cig (upstairs). 

How did I ever think my husband didn't know when I "snuck" a cigarette? He had to smell it.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I guess I should be happy it grosses me out instead of tempts me. 

Donna

47.jpg

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You might try putting a bit of Vicks under your nose to cover up the odor.  I would ask that she keep her jacket in her room - and any clothing she wears when she smokes.  I hope she is not smoking in the bathroom? 

Yeah - we STUNK - and the sensitivity to the smell doesn't go away when we quit, I'm afraid.  Glad it's not tempting, at least

(and all those folks who thought they were "closet smokers" were deceiving themselves.  EVERYBODY who didn't smoke knew).

Nancy

DonnaMarie

No, she doesn't smoke in the bathroom, but the smell lingers when she leaves the room (it's a small bathroom). 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I wonder if one of those passive air deodorizers might help?

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I think I just need to get over myself. I'm going to smell smokers everywhere now that I don't smoke myself. I'm impressed how we inflicted ourselves upon others. If only we were all flowers!

sniff.gif

maryfreecig

Rants happen. Thanks for sharing yours.  I pushed the red alert button this morning when an online payment wouldn't go through! Problem was solved a little later--but  it took a while for me to stand down from red alert. Keep bringing it here if you are especially bothered. 

Strudel

I still remember smelling my sister after she smoked right after I quit - I couldn’t believe that smell!  Congrats on your quit! 

anaussiemom

• DonnaMarie
    DonnaMarie      

50324152_2184100928510543_6934000441969606656_n.jpg
    Your free from the chains that bound  you  YEAH!!

Hugs
0 Kudos
Beck37

I totally get what you are saying. My sense of smell now is amazing both good and bad. My clothes smell so good! Didn’t realize how great my laundry detergent was. Yesterday, first of the month, everyone that came into my office was a smoker.... ewe. What is just as bad and hey I’ve been there, done that but now that it is legal to smoke pot in California it stinks all the time.  Can’t even enjoy the fresh air when taking my dog for a walk. I wonder if I can sue the state for taking away my rights to pot free fresh air??? LOL

Beck

Barbscloud

I always knew I smelled liked cigarettes.  I have found it interesting that some folks say they secretly smoked.  How about some Fabreze spray?   I found that helps for animal odors (not to say that we're animals).