cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

clacy73

New in the arena

Just short of 18 days quit. I’m feeling kinda lonely. No one wants to hear about how I feel and I honestly think they all think I should just be over it already. I smoked for 32 years and tried to quit multiple times. This is the longest I’ve ever quit and I did it cold turkey without any NRT. I still have not smoked, not a slip. I do not feel close to anyone right now. I thought it would be different than this. 

28 Replies
Tabbiekat

You are not alone, congrats on almost 18 days quit, that is awesome. Others will pop up with other greetings, but I just wanted to say hi and let you know you are in the right place for continued support on your quit journey...

Tabbie

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome and congratulations on 18 days quit.  You will find support.  We have a NOPE attitude.  Not one puff ever will keep you free.  If you have any questions or comments feel free to join in.  Keep stacking those days.  

Mandolinrain

Your doing super and going through it like many of us did.

You focus on you now and forget the rest.We are here and the others will come around, I promise. Dont worry about them. 18 days is AWEOMSE! YAY YOU!!!

Beck37

Congrats on your 18 days! I totally understand your feeling of aloneness. Let’s face it... the only people that can possibly understand what we are going thru are us that are going and have been thru it. That is why support groups such as this and all the articles out there are so important.  It is okay to feel/be alone. Right now it’s about being a bit selfish and focusing on yourself and meeting your own needs. 

I am at 25 days quit, also cold turkey, smoked for 37 years. I am basically alone. But it’s okay. This quit is about me and how amazing and empowered I feel. After all we quit cold turkey after 30+ years of smoking... who does that????

Stay out of your head, pamper yourself and just appreciate your awesomeness and what you have achieved and the fact that you did it all on your own!!!!!

Beck

karenjones

Congratulations to YOU for a 25 day quit, cold turkey is special, I admire people who do it that way, i especially like your advice to keep out of your head. For me that is where I  fell down and had a 4 day quit, a 10 day quit, a 17 day quit lost and it kept getting harder and harder to do that first week, the first hour, the first day,   i would have these little conversations with my addict, in my head. and the addict would win, until I learned not to even have these conversations, not to even go there.  My addict gets weaker and weaker all the time.  Because I am not entertaining my addict with these little conversations.  I have shown the addict the door.

Beck37

Thanks so much for the Congrats. Let’s face it the mental thing is the toughest in this whole quitting thing. It is the reason I put it off for so long. Physically I am not craving a cigarette but mentally I want one BAD.... Forever seems like such a long time. But again I “get out of my head” or another one I like “talk myself off of the ledge” and move on. I just know every day it will be easier but know this is a long, long journey.

Have a great day!

Beck

Sent from my iPad

You deserve a Parade!

Congratulations!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 18 days.  You're not alone.  We're all here to get the support we need to be successful.  Reach out anytime you need to share.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your quit and 18 days of smobriety!  Those who have never smoked think this is just a habit we can stop "if we wanted to."  How wrong they are!  We who have smoked and are quitting understand just how difficult it is.  It's why this community exists.  I'm glad you found us....we will be your cheering squad!   I will give you lots of reading material to keep your company.  I know you will find the information helpful going forward.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

You didn't mention if you are using a quit aid, but if so, I hope you are using one that doesn't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy