cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cindylegato

Why am i so absent-minded?

I am forgetting things badly.  Is that normal?

7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Brain fog?  Yep - perfectly normal!  It will go away - just be patient (and make lots of lists!!!)

MarilynH

Yes it's definetly normal and as Nancy says above me it will go away it's just part of the quitting process......

0 Kudos
marciem

It was definitely a case of "the brain has left the building" for me... brain fog galore.  It was gone.  

The good news is, it will come back.  It will  not tell you where it has been or what it has been doing, but it will be back good as new, even better as it won't be yelling at you to go get a fix of toxic chemicals every 20 minutes!!

Be kind to yourself.  In the meantime, until it returns, you can try juices or fruits to up your blood sugar which gets out of whack in the early quit.  Some have said this is the reason for the brain fog.  Begging your boss and/or co-workers to cut you some slack might be a good idea, for the short term.

Keep up the good work, this is normal and right on time!!

Cindylegato

Thanks. I left the trunk of my car open and couldn't figure out why

everybody was yelling at me.

marciem

Cindylegato‌... LOL!!  Now you reminded me about the time I locked myself in my car, in the rain.  Don't ask.  It was brain fog.

Well, since you didn't ask... My battery was dead.  Hubs jump started it, and I locked the doors.  Then I decided to go have a cup of coffee while the car charged... and turned off the key .Then obviously with a dead battery the electric door un-lock didn't work.  I forgot about the manual ability to unlock the door.  I was in tears, literally.  Thank goodness for hubs and sign language.

Jennifer-Quit

Very normal - you are withdrawing from a powerful addictive substance - nicotine,  It will get better with time,  Congrats and welcome to EX!

elvan

I had a doctor tell me that the reason people who quit smoking complain of being foggy is because they have forgotten how to breathe. He said that they (WE) need to be reminded to take deep breaths, hold the air in and exhale very slowly...you know, like we did when we were smoking?  It works.  It WILL get better...I love your story of the trunk being open and marciem‌'s story of the locked car...perfectly normal.

Ellen

0 Kudos