cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

reznyu

Higher fasting blood sugar/cholesterol levels thru the roof...

Hi There,

I quit smoking cold turkey 103 days ago and am very exited I made it so far as I was a pack/day man for almost 35 years and been trying to quit many times, had many relapses, but finally feel that this one will stick !!!

About a week ago decided to do blood work just to see what is happening with me after I quit smoking. I had the same blood work done 6 and 12 month ago, so I can compare apples to apples. When the results came back I was shocked - my fasting sugar is now 104 vs 95 in previous tests, and cholesterol went from 260ish to 335. I've had 260 for many years and I do know it is pretty high, but 330 does scare me.. Since I quit smocking I gained 9 lb, my BMI is 25.1, so even after gaining weight, I am not really overweight... 

I've tried searching internet, but can't find any meaningful information. Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Thanks a lot  

Tags (2)
16 Replies
desiree465

Oh no! That cholesterol is scary, what does your doctor say? You didn't eat anything before the BW did you, they say even chewing gum or drinking coffee can effect it.  I can't remember if a BG of 104 is high but I'm pretty sure it's just the high end of normal, but I'm no doctor. I wonder if it's just coincidental, or at least I would hope it is. Good for you for making it a hundred days, that's not easy and I'm proud of you! No matter what quitting smoking is the right move because in the long run it might just save your life. 

reznyu

No, did not have anything except for water for at least 12 hour  . Will redo the blood work tomorrow...

Research quitting smoking and higher risk of type 2 diabetes.

I had read there was a 70% higher risk the first year.

104 is still fairly normal.

You could likely prevent it with diet. 

I posted a whole 9 part series here about a month ago.

You may be able to find the individual episodes online for free if you Google the name of each episode and choose videos and then length 20+ minutes.

reznyu

Thank you for the info Dale, I've seen this risk, but I am not sure how it applies to me. While I did gain 9lb, I am nowhere near being overweight. If I drop just 1 lb, my BMI will be absolutely normal. 9 lb is about 5% increase in my weight and BS went up almost 10%.. Not sure if there's a correlation between increased weight and increase in BS... 

Diabetes does not only affect overweight people.

reznyu

Absolutely true, it just what they say in the article is that the risk of getting type 2 is higher mostly due to extra weight, and I am not sure my weight gain justifies such a significant jump in BS

I don't think your BS is radical. 

I was one of those affected.

Quit in January

First symptom in May

Finally had the excessive thirst and urination in November and went for blood work.

My blood sugar was 440.

That was 11 years ago.

eyesight hasn't changed.