cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TamborahH

Ask for my dad.

Since chantix is working well for me. I suggested it to my dad. He snojesfrom 10-15 cigarettes a day. He is 74 years "young" and I'd like to find a way for him begun taking chantix.  His Insurance, Medicare and Tricare (Navy retired) doesnt civer thethe prescript chantix in Florida where he lives the cost is averaged to be $479. I tried GoodRX where iIwas hoping it makes it reasonable but only offered a 18% discount. I'm super excited to see Him want to quit, making him healthier .Hes made a miraculous recovery from quadruplet bypass surgery of the heart. It's been 6 years . My dad has shared with me ,how proud he is of me and how he, too,would do anything to not feel the need for a cigarette .He's been trying to quit without help, And he doesn't have any interest to go on line for support. I'd like to direct him in ways to receive this medicine without it cosring so much. He has tried all the OTC products without success. I pray with my determination to quit, it will reenforce his confidence, and encourage him  .. if anyone has any suggestions, please share then so I can pass it on to my dad. 

God bless you .

Thanks, Tam

6 Replies
beazel

I don't have an answer for you, however, I just have to say.....how sad that the insurance companies won't help out a senior that wants to quit smoking!!!!!! And a veteran to boot!!! Infuriating.

I hope someone here can point you in the right direction.

YoungAtHeart

I found this with some help available:  Chantix Prices, Coupons & Patient Assistance Programs - Drugs.com.  If you can get a discount, and then include the amount he will be saving by not buying cigarettes, it might not be that burdensome!

The important thing you can do right now is to help educate him on what nicotine does to the body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.  He should spend a bit of time before he quits writing down (or just thinking about) each cigarette he smokes, and make a plan of what he can do instead when he quits.   He should also then try to put off each cigarette he smokes, getting busy to help him get his mind off of it.  This will prove to him that just because he THINKS he needs a cigarette, he may not really!

The idea is to change up his routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink  coffee with his OTHER hand in a place different from when he smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If he always had that first smoke with his coffee, he might take his shower right out of bed and THEN  the coffee! He might rearrange the furniture in the areas where he used to smoke so the view is different

He needs to distract himself through any craves.  He can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put his head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in the brain unchallenged. Sometimes he might  need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  He will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if he needs some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in his head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then he needs to DO it.  He will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Nancy

indingrl

Thanks for sharing Tam-CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB! We are RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICTS not doctors-MARK THE XMANAGER OR XTEAM MAX HAVE THE ANSWER YOU NEED-its their PROFESSION to HELP with medical needs-just trying to HELP.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

We don't provide Chantix to members here but there may be some resources in Florida or directly from Chantix. Also asking his health care provider or the county health department to see what options exist. If they really don't help a service person that is really sad. 

Mark

EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
JACKIE1-25-15

Wellbutrin MAY BE LESS EXPENSIVE.  

anaussiemom

I wish I truly, knew some people here.  I thru a whole bunch of chantix away,   I could not take them  😕

It makes me angry for people to work their butts off, so we can be denied fro our insurance companies.

TamborahH  Best wishes

Hugs Kim

0 Kudos