cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What Is It?

9 Replies
elvan

My best guess would be a woodworking tool to either mark straight lines or grooves into something, hey, I SAID it was a guess.  I was trying to figure out how to use it as a small ironing board...

I think we need Giulia to enlighten us.

elvan

AHa...is that a clue?  Hey Giulia‌, you are being paged...

MarilynH

Hummmmmmmmmmm! 

Giulia

You guys just like taxing my brain!  Hmmmm.  Well it obviously slides back and forth and has something on top to act as a seating place.  The bottom red screw can be tightened to hold the "seat" in position.  I'm guessing the "seat" can be turned all the way around so you can get to all sides of the object that's sitting on it, kind of like if you were working on a bust of somebody.  The screw is extra long,  which is weird to me.  Unless it's for the purpose of raising the "seat" to a certain height.  Why would it need to be higher or lower?  Hmmmm.  If you were making a lampshade that might be necessary.  It appears to have a very small hole on the left side, as if it were meant to be hung when not in use like a kitchen utensil, but that doesn't make any sense, because it wouldn't hang flush with a wall.    UNLESS that very small hole enables you to put it on some kind of small vertical object that enables the whole unit to swing horizontally.  There's something that's puzzling about that small hole to me and I wonder if it plays a factor in the mix.  (Somehow I doubt it, it's just too small - at least in the picture.)   The other thing that strikes me is the shape of the "seat."  It's not just a square.  It's got rounded/softened edges.  That could simply be for the grace of thing, OR it could be for a very specific purpose.   It might be that the object that sits on it conforms to that shape.  It reminds me of some kind of loom or something to do with string/yarn like a kind of shuttle.  There's also something different about the "plainness" of the object.  It's not high tech.  And that's also intriguing.  Obviously it's not a stand-alone object.  It has to be attached TO something else.  If we knew what that "something else" was, we might be able to come up with the correct answer.

Haven't a clue.  But those were my thought delvings.  Will be interesting to see if any of them were in the right direction.  That something sits on that seat is definite.  The question is - what????  And why does it need to be moved to a specific position.  That must mean there's something else that it acts in conjunction with to make it what it is.  

Fantastic Observation

I think you covered all the functions and movement.

FASCINATING TOOLS AREN'T THEY?

Giulia

They're fascinating tools indeed.  I'm glad I got some of it right, even if I didn't get it's purpose in life.

To me, this is exactly the kind of in-depth questioning and focus that we need to do with our own quits.  Ask questions of ourselves, then answer them.  Don't just look at our addictive picture and assume - anything.  I don't think you can break an addiction without doing that kind of in-depth study, thought, analysis.  What am I craving, exactly?  Why am I craving it (not just because it's a nicotine addiction); why do I keep failing at this?  What do I need to do to get over the gerbil wheel of relapsing?  What IS this thing I'm putting into my mouth, lighting up and inhaling?  Etc....

Until ALL our focus is on quitting and the reasons why we smoke - we're unlikely to figure out the object of our addiction.  Once we do, once we can name it, draw it, spell it, grasp it in a new way, we can begin to see it for it's real self.  And when we see it for real, we then recognize what we've been doing to ourselves all these years.  When we're shocked into a new awareness, when the light has been shone - we will never be happy smokers again.  And that's ain't a bad thang!

PS - I KNEW that little hole had a purpose!

virgomama

What a great conversation.  I have absolutely nothing to add.  Especially since it's already been solved.  Enjoyed this blog immensely.  Thanks Dale for starting it and Ellen for calling in Giulia  and Giulia I loved watching your mind delve right into this.  Followed you all the way through.