cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Kelly16

The Chantix is doing something.....

I'm on day 10 of Chantix. I was starting to worry that maybe this drug wouldn't work for me as I was still smoking the same amount...up until yesterday. I smoke about 12-15 cigarettes a day, and without even realizing it I only smoked 5 yesterday. I smoke 3 before work, but today I only smoked 1/2 a cigarette. So it's definitely doing something. Only side effect I'm experiencing is a lower than usual heart rate for me, but I do not feel any different. If I didn't wear my iWatch and know what my normal HR is I wouldn't have noticed anything. 

My husband on the other hand had to get off of Chantix on Day 6. He was vomiting all day and was starting to get depressed. He's upset that the drug didn't work for him, and I'm upset to be doing this alone, but he will find another method and I am trying to stay the course with Chantix as it seems to be working so far. 

Thanks for listening....

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I never used Chantix but have heard of many that it did help.  Best wishes to both you and your husband!

0 Kudos
SaraCorinne

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!  I'm using Chantix too.  It did the same for me, all the sudden I noticed it working!  Please don't think that Chantix is this magical pill that quits smoking for you (I'm sure you don't) but it sure does make getting through the cravings/withdrawals a LOT easier!  I'm on day 66 of what I hope and pray is my forever quit with the help of Chantix.  Sorry it didn't work for your husband.  I found that I had to eat like a pig, in the beginning, to avoid the nausea but it only lasted about 2 weeks. The road ahead will be bumpy.  Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.  Make a plan.  Figure out what you're going to do, besides smoke, when those cravings hit.  Come here and read, blog or comment on someone else's blog, it really does help!  You can do it

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS, so glad it is working for you.  Sorry your husband had some bad side effects.  You are doing this...one day at a time, how wonderful that you noticed the changes gradually, I am proud of you and happy for you!  Hope your husband can find a different way, something that works for him.

Ellen

0 Kudos
DavesTime

Kelly, I didn't use Chantix, but I am using Wellbutrin (bupropion, also known as Zyban).  Perhaps that may help your husband, too, since he had to get off the other.  I'm a fairly new quitter (on day 42), but I'd suggest you keep staying the course as you have.  This is YOUR quit: guard it like a precious treasure.  Do you have a quit date set?

Dave