cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

The Carrot and the Stick

We all know the stick part - cancer sticks, COPD, heart disease, yadayadayada. But we seem to convince ourselves that it's the other poor unfortunate soul - not me!

But have you thought about what your carrot is? Maybe having extra money - a lot of extra money in your pocket is enough for you. Maybe having up to 2 hours and more of time is your incentive. It could be cosmetic - fewer wrinkles, whiter teeth, smelling better and that's good enough - or is it?

Whatever carrot you determine will get you through those cravings will probably mean the difference between success and failure in Smoking Cessation. 

I had both - a diagnosis of COPD that has now reached the severe stage - my stick. And my grandbabies - my carrot. I don't ever want my grandbabies to smell second hand smoke, to be exposed to third hand smoke - especially from grampa! Never! And I want to live as long as I can, God Willing, to enjoy my relationships of Family and Friends. I have to work at it harder than some and less hard than others. That's Life and every moment is worth it!

What are your carrots and sticks? Knowing the answer will give you something logical to think of when cravings defy logic and seem to push you relentlessly back to the Addiction. Careful Mental Preparation makes a world of difference.

Image result for the carrot and the stick

5 Replies
alysonoholic

While my upcoming dental surgeries and the healing process I'll have to go through are quite the carrot, mostly it is all the things you mentioned - money, time and health and all the good things I can do with my life now.

elvan

My stick is definitely my COPD, my carrot...all of the other things you mentioned, time, the way I smell, the way I look, my teeth, recognizing my own strength.

Thanks, Thomas.

Ellen

A.N.N.

Hi, How ironic... just sitting here taking my smokeless break, eating carrots. Lol! 

The carrots for me are pride, better health (I hope) and freedom!

Thanks for this great reminder Thomas!

Giulia

I'd echo what A.N.N. said.  The carrot was all three of those plus empowerment.  

virgomama

My carrot is definitely a longer, healthier life.  My grandchildren will be grown in 6 years.  I want to be around and healthy enough to participate in their lives unfolding.  My stick will be did I quit soon enough?  Or will the "beast" of COPD or cancer be lurking?