cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

New ways to help those with dementia.

10 Replies
Daniela2016

Wonderful initiative. hopefully providing some relief for the patients, while waiting for a cure...we'll never know, at the time they hit that level in the cognitive process, they have lost the ability of communicating emotions anymore. I know it from seeing my dad through the different phases.

0 Kudos

yes. The main drawback is you'd have to have lived in the town that was replicated or there would be no connection..

0 Kudos
elvan

Well, crap, I am not going back to the town where we grew up...although his attraction seems wider than most, maybe because he was an antique dealer.  He gets so animated when he "discovers" something that stimulates his memory, it's really amazing.  Of course, most of his "discoveries" are either in his room or in the basement where he keeps his hoard.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Ellen @elvan, I am so sorry you have to walk this path with Mike.  I remember mom when she went to speak with dad's Psychiatrist at some point, when dad was in early stages, and when mom said "I don't really know he needs the drugs, he does not get lost, or forgets many things", the Dr said "oh, he will".  And he did, and mom was crushed.  Cancer is hard on people and their families, but there is always home for remission. 

Dementia is making feel everyone helpless, the patient as well as those who love them.  I will never forget the posture dad was in most of the time, almost like trying to organize his thoughts in a normal matter. He knew where this was heading, his youngest sister died of an early onset of dementia. He was holding his head with his two fists, almost trying to push the fists in, it was so incredibly hard to see. 

Everything which is being done today to relief some of the suffering, to make them feel close to normality, it is huge.  The best moments dad had in his terminal years, were when he was asked to tell stories of his life journey.  He was getting animated, he was remembering every detail from 40-50 years ago, and it was making him feel good about himself, making him almost happy.

Thank you Dale for sharing.

Image result for man thinking statue

elvan

LOVE this image.  You know, I am not sure what is going on with him but he is making stuff up and he really believes it...he will come up with details for things that never happened...I don't know what that means.  His mother died of Alzheimer's but she was in her late 80's, my youngest daughter has approached his sister to see if she will tell her the course of that journey and when they started to see changes.  I KNOW she was much older than Mike.  He is only 67...I am afraid that I might go first...by go, I mean die and then I have no idea what would happen to him.  I am trying to prepare for that the best way that I can...for our KIDS.  It may not happen that way but I do not want to leave a chaotic circus behind.

Thanks for your loving support,

Ellen

0 Kudos
elvan

This is really fascinating, Dale.  My husband is in early stages of dementia and his reaction to vintage items and things from the past is really enough to convince you that he is not in any stage of dementia but rather is brilliant.  He knows so much about so many things that are old but he cannot remember something from an hour ago or less.  I really like this and want to read more about it.

Thanks for finding this and sharing it.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Dear Ellen, elvan never, and no one knows exactly where the white dots, which end up multiplying until they become islands of white/not functional matter, they will appear in patients developing dementia.  The one common symptom is the loss of short term memory and preservation of the long term memory.  The illness started very early in my dad's sister: she was somewhere in her mid-60's and died by the time she was 72.  Dad's started in his mid-70's and he died at 84.  Mike seems to have the early onset, which usually also has a faster progression than dementia starting in late ages.  But of course it all depends on the person, their genes, and associated diseases, anything else impacting the brain other than just dementia.  I read a study recently, saying if we can keep the systolic BP under 120 mm Hg, the risk of dementia decreases dramatically. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Daniela2016‌ THAT is a problem...his systolic is always above 160 and diastolic is always above 94...they keep putting him on more and more medications and he does not eat any added salt...I don't really know what is going on.  He is supposed to see eye surgeon this week and then I am not sure about his PCP.

I am overwhelmingly tired tonight and really need to try to relax.

Love you, thanks for the information,

Ellen

0 Kudos

does he have any kidney problems?

0 Kudos