cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Bellegonia

Anyone Do Orange Theory? Join a Gym After Their Quit?

Hi,

I'm considering joining Orange Theory - it's a fitness center. My neice has had tremendous success and loves it. It's not your typical gym like Planet Fitness. Of course, my neice is 20 years old. Yeah, right... is what I'm thinking. I'm a little skittish. I used to be very active back in the day but smoking really "killed" my activity level over the last 5 years. My little Quit App says at 4 months my physical fitness is back to the levels of a non-smoker. Of course, it's fear based. I don't want to make a fool out of myself. I have this vision of me huffing and puffing after 2 minutes on a rower and having to stop. Frankly, I don't know what my physical stamina level is. I can do 2 flights of stairs before I'm huffing and puffing but to be honest my leg muscles actually become weak long before my lungs giveout. How sad it that?

Does anyone have any insights about Orange Theory or just plain exersize regimen as a new QUITTER?

Belle

12 Replies
karenjones

You just jump right back in ther and do what you can do. I love walking. and I go to aquasize classes at my local Y. go at your own pace. and have fun. Wow, you can do this stuff now, seeing that you are an ex smoker. Why not go to a class or two with your neice. ? That sounds like a great way to spend time with family. Doing something healthy. Bless

Bellegonia

What a great idea! But she's back at college now  Far far away! Maybe i'll rope her in on Thanksgiving break. I'll almost be at the 4 month quit mark by then!

YoungAtHeart

5 Things to Know Before Your First Orangetheory Class - Health 

Here is some info on the Orangetheory class that I found.  I might stop in and chat with a trainer before you plunk down your money, be honest about your current state of fitness, and ask their advice. 
This sounds pretty intense to me - but I have been out of commission for various ortho problems for over 18 months, so most anything would sound intense to ME!!!  The biggest thing is not to overdo when you start out.  Sometimes the pain you might cause doesn't hit for awhile and you won't know what you've done for a bit. 

What a GREAT idea, though,  to get more fit and healthy.  Seems like a lot of folks go that route when they quit.  ANOTHER good side effect!!!

Bellegonia

I hadn'r seen that link before, thanks! I had watched a lot of the Youtube videos many of which are people blogging about their experience. None of them are EX smokers though. Maybe I'll be the first. LOL. Wink wink.

elvan

I started slowly and increased as I  was able.  I got to the point where I could do an hour and a half working out in the pool and about the same amount of time on a stationary bike and with free weights and bands.  I tried different things and went by how I felt afterwards...was I overly exhausted?  Was I in pain?  Was the pain tolerable and just a passing phase?  I wanted to do aquasize but my lungs are so damaged that I cannot be in an indoor area with chlorine and keep going...I get exceedingly short of breath and start to cough and wheeze and it does NOT go away when I leave the area.  Chlorine is terrible for COPD or any breathing disorder...it has to be very well ventilated.

I looked up different workouts and adapted things to what I could handle without hurting myself.  I have no experience with orange therapy.

Best,

Ellen

Bellegonia

Ellen,

I hadn't given any thought to the breathing part of COPD since I have been newly diagnosed with emphysema and not seen Pulmonology yet... I have reactive airway disease (I work with an RT and that's what she calls it b/c I can be in a public place like a restaurant and they release aromatics in the ventilation system and I start to cough immediately). So undiagnosed, but I suspect she's right. I may have the same issue with chlorine like you do. If I don't like the Orange Theory gym, the local YMCA was going to be my next approach. Thank you for the insight!!!!!!

Hugs

Belle

elvan

Bellegonia

You are most welcome...I had no idea until I tried it...I scared the aqua therapist because I was so short of breath, she really tried to work with me by opening doors a both ends of the facility but it was in an assisted living place and other people were freezing with a fan on.  The water temperature was always 87 degrees and it is salt water but they have to add chlorine because there is an issue with incontinence.  I could not believe how it affected me but I really should have known because cleaning with chlorine nearly kills me.

Hugs back to you,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I do like my planet fitness gym, there is no pressure, and I can do whatever I want to do.  They do have a trainer, and he will help you figure out a good plan in terms of what you are expecting for results.  It is also a judgement free zone! 

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I have always had a high fitness level of activeness, I'm the favorite Grandma, because of my ability to run and chase those little grand kids.  I did join a gym after I quit, and glad I did.  However, after I quit, breathing became noticeably more difficult through my activity!  Start out slow, don't kill yourself in the beginning!  I am currently riding bicycle with my 21 year old son, almost on a daily basis, and he is kicking my butt, but I refuse to give up!  I am able to keep up with him, and have to make sure I have rescue inhaler with me every time we are out!   

It is good to stay active, and I believe it helps your lungs clean out!  Looks like you are keeping good track of what you're doing, keep it up!  My legs have gotten a ton better and I don't have to down shift on the hills so much anymore.  I'm about to take my overnight camping bicycle trip! Soon!