cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

What Is The Most Powerful Tool In Your Quitbox?

Self Talk

What.jpg

"Internal monologue or self-talk refers to a person's inner voice that provides a running monologue while we are awake.[1] It reflects both conscious and unconscious beliefs. Self-talk influences how a person reacts to a situation—both how they feel and what they do. This is called the cognitive model.[2] Self-talk can be positive, neutral or negative."

Internal monologue - Wikipedia 

It's what causes everyone who goes back to smoking to do so.

But it's also the most powerful tool for your success.

When you think of smoking say, "I don't do that anymore."

Say it every time and it will keep you on track.

7 Replies
MarilynH

100 % truth, thank you Dale.....

elvan

Absolutely true!  HONEST self talk.

karenjones

What here is called 'self talk' in other circles is called the monkey mind. This is the mind that hops around from here to there with no ability of the self to control or modify the journey of this monkey mind. it is possible to tame the monkey mind, but it takes practice. Most people think that the mind is like the wind, that they have no ability to determine where it goes. I thought that once. It takes effort to tame the monkey mind. The monkey mind, untamed will convince you to smoke, will convince me.anyway. monkey mind.png

Finding focus. Setting your own path.

elvan

Squirrel brain...yep, it exists but it can be tamed...great response karenjones‌!

0 Kudos
indingrl

MY most powerful tool is PRAYER-THANKFULNESS-PRAISE-TO GOD FIRST in rememberingt ALL he gave and blessed ME with -NICOTINE FREEDOM IN CHRIST JESUS MY Lord and for ALL of you-MY RECOVERING NON SMOKER FAMILY-thank you Dale for asking and thank you all for sharing your wisdom and strength and hope with ME! I will always God willing keep an open mind to keep LEARNING FROM EVERYONE-Amen-plz take what helps-let go of the rest-thank you

SimplySheri

Yep!  I also added "So what can I do instead?" because I wasn't just going to leave myself feeling miserable   But that's just how I am.  

0 Kudos