cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Have You Ever Been Saved? (copied from the invisible blog)

Beginning when I was young, we used to go camping in Yosemite for two weeks every summer. One of the favorite things to do there besides seeing Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls and the other natural wonders was swimming in the river but there were risks.

Nature can create hidden dangers in the form of a deep holes where the river runs into a bank before it turns, hollows out the bank and the river bed making it much deeper. The water coming out of the turn picks up great speed like a slingshot and can create a whirlpool which can pull you downward in the strong vortex created.

This happened to me when I was about 8 and if my dad had not been watching me, I would have drowned.

My dad saved me from drowning but, I had to save myself when it came to smoking.

You have the power to save yourself by making an informed decision (the informer is you) and being willing to let time distance you from the ritual and addiction of smoking.

No one can do it for you, not even my dad.

9 Replies
elvan

I responded to it when it WAS visible...I told you about getting caught in a wave at the ocean when I was really little and I can still remember the inside of that wave...the blog is here somewhere.

Ellen

0 Kudos
MarilynH

I commented on the original post from my inbox and I saw where you commented to which must have been from your inbox Ellen elvan, I'm really hoping this be straightened out soon .

0 Kudos
elvan

Me TOO.

elvan

I just went to see if I could find my original response...I got the message that the item could not be found...looks like it ate comments too.

MarilynH

This is a great blog post and such a great analogy, I'm so glad that your Dad was there to save you from drowning I'd say you've got an awesome Dad and we're all very fortunate to have gotten to know you and call you a friend and Fellow EXer  in this virtual world we live in and I'm so happy to be living a life of Freedom ......

indingrl

awe i am glad your dad saved you and you choice to save yourself from your drug choice nicotine-good job-thanks for sharing your love hope and experience-love you Dale.

0 Kudos

We used to have large family trips with many cars and at least 20 or more people and 5 campsites. We had station wagons and drivers would drive 4-5 of us  a few miles upstream and we would float down the river on air mattresses, It was a hoot because the river was about 50-70 feet wide and  all the campers were on the edge as we'd sail down the middle.

It took about an hour and a half and was so much fun. Then the'y drive us back up to the top and we'd do it again. 🙂

MarilynH

That does sound wonderful and such great memories to look back on. 

0 Kudos
elvan

WOW, that sounds like such fun.  My father was stationed in New Mexico for a while and we went camping with neighbors all the time, I have some amazing memories of those times and listening to the adults laughing and putting together meals.  We went swimming in some of the coldest water I have ever been in and I spent MOST of my life in NY State where the lakes never warm up.

0 Kudos