cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 6 and a question

6.jpgI didn't have time to check in this morning, so here I am, finally! Day 6 is almost in the bag, but I definitely needed to come here and read/write and strengthen my quit. 

I had a volunteer activity this morning with the local police department. I was around people who do not smoke and was busy as heck for several hours. After, my sister (who does still smoke) and I went out to lunch. She was getting ready to light up in the car and apologized before doing it. I told her to go on and smoke and not worry about it, that I have to live in the real world. My thoughts after that as she lit up and smoked were focused on the smell (like yesterday) and how I'm not real happy that I smelled like that. I'm not holier than though or passing judgment; I'm not that way. I do like not smelling like cigarette smoke anymore though!

My question - when I got up this morning, my gums hurt a little. Is that something y'all have felt? I'm not brushing more, but I am assaulting my gums less by not smoking. Are the tissues getting used to their new environment? 

One more thing. I missed my coffee this morning and am having it now. Look at me change up my routine.

I'm still putting a hurtin' on my quit smoking rock. I put them on eBay for others saying to make me an offer, that I don't want to make money, just want to cover postage. I'm almost at the point where I'd be willing to pay postage. I'm sure when I'm further into my quit, I'll be willing to do that. Lawd. I'm rambling.

So, good morning Exers, even though it's really almost evening time. Here's to more smoke-free days and nights ahead. 

7 Replies
freeneasy

Awesome job and congrats on 6 days. I don't remember my gums bothering me but I know I did them a huge favor by quitting-my periodontist told me so.  He told me that they might bleed more at first during a cleaning because the blood flow improves after you quit. (that's a good thing).  I realized how bad I smelled by smoking when my sense of smell improved and I could smell stale smoke on people.  Keep stacking the days you're doing great!

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

That makes sense about the blood flow improving. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I'm planning on using some of my former cig money to get teeth whitening (or at least not so much staining) done. 

0 Kudos
freeneasy

It's great for your oral health... your health in general.  The money I saved by quitting paid for a dental implant and then some in a year. Also. he would not have done the implant if I was a smoker because the chance of failure is high.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

It wasn't until I quit that I began to notice problems with my teeth and gums.  I will bet you there's a very good reason for it that no one ever told us about.  I mean, if they can put cough suppressant in cigarettes, they could have also put some sort of numbing agent.  I don't know.

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Really? A cough suppressant?

@freeneasy, I'm having implants done as we speak. I lied and said I didn't smoke. Well, correct that. I wasn't smoking when we started, but then I started again, and now I'm not. I hate smoking and all the stupid chit that goes with it. 

The good news is I don't smoke and won't smoke. I can't smoke. And of course, there is the shouldn't smoke. 

elvan

DonnaMarie‌ You are doing great...oh, I am not judgmental of smokers but I will not ride in a car with someone who is smoking.  I have worked really hard to clean out my lungs this past 4 1/2 years and there is no way that I want to inhale someone else's smoke.  You have a right to keep your space clean.

Ellen

DonnaMarie

@elvan, I'm working up to the no smoking around me. I will no longer allow smoking in my car, though. I wholeheartedly agree with protecting what you've worked hard to make happen. I'll grow the cojones to be a bit stronger after I'm not working so hard at staying smober as job 1.