cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stAn3

How do you take breaks at work without smoking?

A big psychological trigger for me is transitioning from one task to another. When smoking, I knew what I would no every time I had a break: I would smoke. What substitutes have you found?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Take a walk where smokers aren't.  Even a brisk walk around the floor or around the perimeter of your building will work.  Or, find a game to play on your phone and find some outside shade to sit.  Go outside, find a place to sit, and do deep breathing and relax/meditate for a few minutes.   Treat yourself to a specialty drink if there is a place close to buy one. 

Treat yourself - you earned it!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

It's the camaraderie of break-time smokers I missed.  Is there anyone you can take quick breaks with who doesn't smoke?  If that's not an option, there's always getting a cup of coffee, or walking around the building. 

Grimlink

Lol i feel like coffee is another substitute for nicotine. I've basically swapped addictions from  smoke to coffee, at least in the mornings. Though I still use nic gum... What now? Lol

0 Kudos
elvan

Grimlink‌ How long ago did you quit smoking and start using the gum?  I stopped coffee when I quit because I was afraid it might be a trigger...after several weeks of drinking green tea (which I hate), I realized that coffee was not a trigger since I never drank coffee and smoked.  I am much more sensitive to caffeine since I quit smoking but I do drink coffee...just one cup instead of a whole pot.  I have been smoke free for 4 1/2 years after smoking for 47 years.  This is a journey and it is one day at a time, learning to live life without cigarettes takes time.  I hope you write a blog and introduce yourself to the community.  Click on the little pencil next to your avatar and select the option to blog.  Introduce yourself and you will get lots of welcoming comments.

Welcome,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Something to read!   I always smoked when I arrived or departed my destination.  I keep something in the car to read when an early for event.  Or, I play a game on my phone.  

SimplySheri

We used to walk.  So many of us liked to get away from our desks and as long as I wasn't smoking anymore, the girls and I would walk around the building for 15 minutes....longer if we were discussing work   Physical activity always helped me!

elvan

This is really a SAD question.  That is how strong the addiction is...you don't feel like you can relax without smoking.  I went outside with my smoking friend after I had been quit for a while.  I never sat down and I always made sure not to be downwind.  I think she was annoyed with me, in fact, I KNOW she was annoyed with me but I worked hard to clean out my lungs and there was no way I was going to inhale her smoke.  You do NOT need a cigarette to take a break...drink a big glass of water, you will be hydrated and you will be detoxifying your body.  If there is a way you can exercise  without looking crazy (I would not suggest jumping jacks), you could do that or you could meditate.  What do the OTHER nonsmokers do?  

Barbara145

It will probably be difficult at first.  That pain or discomfort we feel is how we grow and grow we do.  It ultimately feels so wonderful.  Trust me, stick with it and you will figure it out.

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Take a short walk.  I used to walk around the building where I worked when it was "that time" to take a cancer stick break.  You just need to find something different to do with that time.  Walking helped me, because when it is 98 degrees, plus outside, and you walk around a building, you do not even want to look at a cancer stick afterwards.  

I always liked walking off the urge.  When you walk, you hear and see things that distract your mind from the cancer sticks.  When you get back, you feel good, because you got to stretch your legs, straighten your back, etc.,; it's just a good physical way to tackle the demon.

Irish Rose