cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

No Man's Land Weekly Check In - The Forever Quit - 7/23/2018

We do this blog every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and for those who have not yet made it to the 6% Club. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: The Forever Quit

As you near the end of No Man’s Land, it’s time to start thinking about what comes next. It’s time to start making plans and commitments about your long-term quit maintenance.

No one wakes up one morning and says “gee, I think I’ll relapse today.” No one in month 3 of a strong quit thinks their motivation will ever fade. But we hear from people all the time who relapsed after a year, 2 years, 5 years, or even longer.

I believe the root of long-term relapse is forgetting two very important lessons -- first, we forget that we cannot have just one, because for addicts like us, one always leads to one more. Second, we forget that we did not enjoy smoking. We smoked to avoid the pain of not smoking. It wasn’t enjoyable, it didn’t taste good, and it wasn’t relaxing – those are the lies of addiction.

We learned these lessons painfully – with sweat and tears – when we quit. But as time passes it becomes easier and easier to forget, to minimize, to rationalize.

Right now you have committed to quit smoking, but have you committed to never smoke again? Two years from now when you get really bad news, or are at the beach watching the sunset and the smoker next to you says “want one?” – what will you do? Will you remember the pain of quitting? Will you remember the lessons you learned? Will you remember how to distract/dismiss/kick it to the curb? Will NOPE (not one puff ever) and NEF (never ever forget) still be in your heart?

Plan it, practice it, be ready for it. The lessons you are learning right now, in No Man’s Land, are the lessons you need to carry with you and never take for granted. The Forever Quit is within your reach! 

Roll Call Time!  Let’s hear a SHOUT from everyone in NML!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML or Inbetweenerville who is ready, willing, and able.

7 Replies
Roller831

Hi Everyone!  Please accept my apologies!  I am super busy at work right now since we close our books every quarter!  I am still strong in my quit, but don't have much time to read and post.  Hopefully, in the next few weeks, I will have a bit more time to catch up!

Roller 397 DOF

karenjones

Checking in from no mans land.  thanks for reminding us that the tools we used on day one are still the ones we use at month 4.   Karen

hattonc

So very helpful.. Thank you

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Wow,  the "Two years from now when you really... "  kind of scared me a little.  Will I remember?  I'm feeling good about my quit right now.  

AnnetteMM

Thanks so much for doing this every week, Roller.  I really appreciate the weekly reminders, and this is a good one.  

elvan

I think that if I get really bad news in a couple of years...I will not want to compound my fight against a disease with nicotine withdrawal. I don't think that would be a good idea...nicotine withdrawal is tough enough all by itself and you KNOW you would not be allowed to smoke if you were in a hospital...this quit IS my forever quit.  God knows I had enough "practice quits."

Eyes65

Thank you for posting this..... you are awesome...I will NEVER smoke again in Jesus name!!!  I will forever stay connected to this site for support and encouragement!!!!  I will continue to support all who want to quit!!  This is Day 113...  I will conquer NML and so will everyone else!!!!