cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tchad49

Has anyone else here tried to quit by vaping?

I quit by vaping.  For a while (~6 months), I was just happy that my smoking had reduced from a whole pack to 2-3 cigarettes per day.  I used the e-cigarette indoors, but wanted a REAL cigarette while walking to the subway or the store.  Then, at a certain point, I just didn't want a cigarette anymore.  I can't explain it.  Gone.  No craving.  Now, when I pass someone smoking it smells repulsive.  I still vape.  I know that every smoker is different, but this worked for me.  I'm sure that e-cigarettes are not 100% safe (nothing is), but I know that they are significantly safer than cigarettes.

Has anyone else here tried vaping to quit?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are some other topics about vaping.  You may also find discussions in E-Cig and Vape Users.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
tchad49

Fascinating, Thank You Mark.  There certainly is a LOT of confusion around the safety of e-cigarettes and of nicotine itself.

YoungAtHeart

I especially liked this blog:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/colegrundy/blog/2018/04/13/anybody-know-the-if-there-s-any... Not to mention:   the batteries can spontaneously explode - in your lap, in your pocket, in your face

I am not sure putting anything in your lungs and airways can be foolproof.  If you are planning to go to 0 nicotine, why not just use cut up straws?  Cheap and not at ALL harmful!

Nancy

tchad49

Thank you Youngatheart.  Unfortunately, there is an incredible amount of misinformation in that discussion/blog.  Alarming stuff about nicotine, popcorn lung, etc.  I don't want to debate this, but I am actually a PhD biologist and I looked all that stuff up when I considered vaping.  I don't plan to go to 0 nicotine because I like nicotine and - like caffeine - it is not harmful (the carcinogens in cigarette tar are harmful).  You are right that a few home-hacked do-it-yourself mega batteries have exploded on vaping devices.  Any over-charged lithium-ion battery can explode.  To say "the batteries can spontaneously explode" seems to lump all vaping devices together.  Obviously a JUUL or other small e-cigarette is as likely to explode as your rechargeable electric toothbrush...  Also, it's probably a good idea to compare that EXTREMELY low risk to the THOUSANDS of residential fires and hundreds of deaths caused every year by smoking (usually smoking in bed)...

karenjones

PhD biologist in what area of biology?  Nicotine is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Tell me how safe that is to your mental health Mr.?Mrs. ? PhD.  

0 Kudos
tchad49

Explain alcohol's effects.  Caffeine's.

maryfreecig

I bought vape supplies just before I quit, intending to use as a last ditch if necessary. Within 7-10 days I realized I would not be needing the stuff. Returned the stuff unopened. Dependency was a shadow over me. Still smober today. But, I did consider vaping--not because I thought it could replace cigarettes, but because I wanted to stall for time. Going back to cigarettes would have crushed my spirit.

I tried vaping but for me it didn’t work. It helped smoke less but I still wanted a cigarette. I still felt the need to smoke a cigarette. Most likely just mental since the vape had nicotine. My fiancé though went out and bought a vape with nicotine and didn’t even smoke one cigarette after he bought it! It’s been about 3 months now! He still craves a cigarette once in awhile but has been able to get through it!  My quit date is in two days! I’m just going to try to quit with the patch and not use a vape. 

tchad49

Which is kind of a give-away that it was not the nicotine you craved.

0 Kudos