cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Trust

? about the daily pledge

I made my pledge today! The next person didn't take my hand instead they had a conversation with another person. We all are on this to get acknowledgment and support, Right.? I don't want to stress over this but it's not worth my time if I do. My daily life is less stressful than what I feel now from the lack of interest on this pledge site. I also wrote to the person who had a conversation on the pledge site and who missed taking my hand in the pledge because of it. I also let them know where they can have conversations that's more appropriate than on the pledge site.

Thanks for listening.

Please let me know what you decide to do about this. 

#Trust

9 Replies
AnnetteMM

That sucks.  Unfortunately, we're all human and mistakes are made.  It's sad that it happened to you so early in your quit, when recognition is vital!  Good for you for speaking out.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes looks like to be a mistake.

You had replied to WLH who was before Bree19 and Bree19 had replied to princessdeborahd and kelsmynme replied to Bree19 as well as Gilamonster also replied to Bree19.  So both you and Kelsmynme were accidently overlooked.

My guess is people either reply by email and don't realize that that the person they're replying to isn't the last one to reply either because the notification is being sent or the last time they loaded the page and clicked reply button that the one they replied to was the last one. In either case I don't think you were intentionally  overlooked. In the past I have seen people post simultaneously and one person took their hand and the other didn't get a reply.  

pastedImage_1.png

Hope that gives you peace of mind.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
AnnetteMM

Nicely done, Mark!

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry for the mix-up but Congrats on  20 days of Freedom

mpnaegle

Trust‌ I understand your frustration.  I too was overlooked TWICE in today's daily pledge.  It's hard, especially when we're just starting out we need that recognition.  I'm still fresh too--27 days in.  So I was annoyed this morning.  Try not to let it get to you.  It was obviously a mixup and confusion on the EXer's part (who started a random conversation in the middle of the pledge).  We're all here for you and want you to succeed.  Congratulations on 20 days of freedom!!!!! 

elvan

We have pretty much ALL been left dangling at one time or another, it is never intentional.  Congratulations to BOTH of you Trust‌ and mpnaegle

Barb102

I think it happens to all of us one time or another. To be honest with you, the pledge , the promise is what’s been keeping me going. Also , not just the person in front of you , but all of us pledging are really taking each other’s hand every day. 

So please, I gladly take both of your hands and pledge not to smoke with you. I also pledge to help you ,anyway that I can , just like I’ve been helped. We are all here for you and each other 

Barb 

Trust

I just want to thank everyone for their understanding on my issue. It certainly has been helpful knowing so many of you have reached out to me and that you totally get it. I appreciate your explanations, caring and compassion. 

Giulia

There isn't a person here who would deliberately not take the hand of another pledgling.  Pledging is way to stay accountable and at the same time acknowledge others on their journeys.  When two people post at the same time, or if, for example I'm writing a pledge response and something calls me away from the computer and I come back and then press the post button, someone else may have gotten in a pledge at the same time holding the  person's hand whom I was responding to.  In that case two people are holding one person's hand.  Someone else might feel jealous about that.  And how awful that would be.

The point of the Pledge Page is to promise not to smoke.  Period.  Who holds whose hand is - to me - not the important factor.  Pledging is.  People being missed/passed over is common.  It happens.  The next day they aren't.  Everybody it there for the same purpose - to make a personal pledge not to put a cigarette in their mouth.  To hold oneself accountable not only to themselves, but in extension because it's visible within the group, to those on the site as well - those who even bother to view the page in the first place.

All our cyber hands are offered to all who pledge.  It's not a personal hand-holding pledge page. I go there occasionally even after a 12 year quit, just to really offer support.  I mean, sure it's part of my quit maintenance, but really I check in there just to show that an Elder with a 4500 day quit  or whatever is still keeping my promise to myself.  And hoping that my number of DOF will inspire or encourage or help someone about to give up - to keep on keeping on. 

And I think we should also feel free to express whats going on in our quit (in not too lengthy a fashion - not like a blog), but to say a brief sentence about our journeys.  Otherwise the Pledge Page just becomes a rote "thanks for your hand X, I promise..., and here's my hand to Y."  That's BORING. That surely wouldn't keep my quit alive if I were a newbie, let alone my interest.  That's also why I try to put in a photo I've taken when I pledge.  To liven it all up.  I think if the Pledge Page were expanded to a little self expression of the personal journey, it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Part of the journey is in the expression of the joy or angst we're going through.  MOO

I'm sorry you felt left out or passed by Trust  You are definitely not left out of our support here.  We care about your quit.  May I make a suggestion?  Status updates don't receive as many comments as blogs or discussions.  So if you want the most visibility on the site I would suggest the latter two.  But trust me - there is no lack of interest in people attempting to overcome this addition.  We're all in the same boat. 

And PS - right after I posted I saw your last reply.  Yours was 11:21 pm.  Mine was 12:11. I was in the middle of composing my response when you responded.  My response might have been different had I seen yours first.  But I didn't.  It takes time to digest things in life.  Instant communication can upset that digestion.