cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dashquit52

It is four hours

I wake up in the night, craving. it is too early for candy or a walk. any suggestions??

8 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I understand what you are going through. My first months I had insomnia I would spend time reading, I would come here and read blogs, cleaning closets and reorganizing rooms, drawers.  Moved a lot of furniture around in my first months quit.  I worked on a lot of things I had been putting off. 

When I have insomnia, (even before I quit smoking) it's usually because I have mind clutter. A situation or thought that will not let go. Something you don't want to forget but need to get your sleep.

I turn on my computer and clear my head by writing out what I'm stuck on and what is needed to be remembered in the morning.

That always lets me allow myself to sleep.

GyorgyiM

For the first few days or even weeks.......THERE ARE NO RULES EXCEPT TO NOT SMOKE..

It's like going on a crazy ride without restrictions except you HAVE TO WARE YOUR SEAT BELT!.

So do WHATEVER it takes and take all of that in stride because you are on your way to a happier, healthier LIFE...

YOU CAN DO THIS...

Miles of Smiles....

YoungAtHeart

Take slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each one. Do it again, and again.  Tense all your muscles and then relax them, starting with your head pushing down and then relax each set slowly, ending with your feet.   Put on some relaxing music.  If that doesn't work - don't just lay there and crave.  Read or get up and do something soothing - like watch videos of the ocean.  Insomnia is a common withdrawal symptom.  It WILL end.

Hang in there1

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Whaddya mean it's too early for candy?!

IrishRose

Come to this site and read, write, and read some more.  Mind clutter is the culprit.  

It's never too early for candy, especially chocolate or licorice, but unfortunately the sugar fix will most probably keep you awake.  I have been quit eight years now, and I have a lot of nights when I will wake up at 2:30 and cannot go back to sleep.  It's very frustrating and tiring, especially if you have to go to work that morning. 

Don't cave to the crave though.  You are far better off than you were those four hours ago.

Irish Rose  

Lauralives

Those deep, cleansing breaths really help me.  Do whatever you have to do, except smoke.  You will make your own way and own it too and be so proud.  Clean, eat candy, get on the Ex site, whatever you feel inclined to do and be gentle with yourself.  The sleeping can be a problem.  They do make herbs that can help, naturally.  Theanine Senene, has helped me.  Vitamin Cottage.  They also make others that can help.  You are working through all those things that USED to be on the other side of the smoke screen.  Take it slow.  Love yourself and allow yourself the time you need to heal, inside and out.  You are doing a fantastic job!!  Laura

TurboRose

I don't think it's ever too early or too late to avoid smoking. I dealt with insomnia too. I stayed up late watching reruns. I had a cocktail or a glass of wine. I monitored my intake because I didn't want to jump into another addiction in order to avoid nicotine.  Hot showers also helped.  Walking, if I had someone to walk with or a bigger dog, I would've been walking at all hours. I tried to walk at least a mile a day because it helped me to sleep. Hang in there!