cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Posamari

Fan causing achy 🫁 lungs?

I'm currently house sitting in Las Vegas and have kept the thermostat at what most people consider a 'reasonable' temp. --78*.

I'M ROASTING TO DEATH NEARLY EVERY NIGHT!!

Now, I live in the high desert in So.Calif so excessive heat is not a new thing to me, but I'm trying not to leave the owners with a huge electricity bill. I've been sleeping with a fan blowing on me and it helps tremendously.  For the past 2 days , especially for the first 4 - 5 he's of the day, my lungs have hurt. When I breathe they 'ache', especially when I breathe deep.  Could this be from the fan? I do wake up extremely dry in the mouth. I'm I drying out my lungs or what??. I have been diagnosed with moderate emphysema from-- yep-- smoking for many years.

Any ideas or answers?

Please and thank you.

P.S.

I also had a 6 month follow up low dose cat scan 5 days ago and have been nervous about the results-- have not heard anything yet. 

-Posamari

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Posamari

Correction-- 4-5 hours. 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

I would die at 78 - my thermostat is set at 70 almost 24/7.  What do the folks you are house sitting for have the thermostat set at? I am really not familiar with your climate.  

Posamari

They---actually my father--- keeps it at 78*. He's on an energy savings program with the local electric company. If there is a lot of usage, the electric company can set your thermostat at an energy saving level. For example, if I set it at 72, and there is a lot of usage in the area, they can override your setting and set it at a higher temp to save energy. I'm an avid environmentalist so I understand this but LORD (!!!).  Customers get a discount per kilowatt hrs if you enroll in this program. 

This is Las Vegas. The Mojave desert.

Hotter than a mutha  

Seriously.  

I also live in a desert community outside of Los Angeles but keep MY thermostat at night at 74. I'd prefer 65 but my bill would be astronomical.

It's been 100* here and is forecasted to 110* by Thursday.  That should be illegal  .

I'm going to set it lower, I cannot sleep in heat.

My question is that having a fan blow on me all night-- can it cause or exacerbate lung problems?

I've felt a little short winded and sore lungs when I breathe for about 4-5 hours after awakening.

Oh wow! I keep mine between 65-70.  I hate hot weather! I didn’t know the electric company could override your thermostat!! I don’t care how much of a discount I would get! Haha

Posamari

I hear ya! Too much like 'big brother' for me too.  My dad complains about and is against too much gov't intervention in citizens lives. I brought this up to him and asked why he felt different about allowing the electric co control of his thermostat. I find it a little creepy too. I would never allow it despite the savings. Plus there is an app you can download with this program that tells you what your thermostat is currently set on and the current temp in the house. He can access it on his phone from Amsterdam and see what I have it set on.  Haha!  Too much!! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Turn the temperature down!

0 Kudos
elvan

My thermostat is set at 73 except in the winter when I set it at 68...that's what sweaters and blankets are for.  I sleep with a fan blowing on me and I also have a ceiling fan.  I know that the fan blowing on me sometimes dries out my skin and my lips but I cannot sleep if I am hot.  I KNOW that it makes my breathing much more labored.  I am on oxygen at night and have COPD, I have had low dose CT scans annually and had to have one a few months after I had already had one, I was TERRIFIED.  It turns out that I had some scar tissue from the lung volume reduction surgery I had a year and ten months after I quit smoking.  Make sure that the fan you are using is really clean and that it is not blowing some dust in your face...I would also suggest putting it a little farther away from you...I would absolutely turn the thermostat down.  You need to be able to sleep, NOT sleeping is NOT healthy, as you well know.  Take care of yourself...I am sure your father would not want you to be uncomfortable.  My sister lives in Palm Springs and she keeps her thermostat at 80...she also has COPD...there is no way I could sleep in a place that hot.  I did not know the electric company could mess with my thermostat...creeeeepy.  

Ellen

0 Kudos