cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Giulia

The Door to the Possibility of Smoking

If I may be so bold as to put my own words of wisdom here from May 31, 2006, almost three months after my quit.... with some added wisdom from two years of being smoke free... The Possibility Door was still open for me then. It is now closed. It took a while.

The Possibility Door (May 31, 2006)  This content was changed.  See https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/30751-the-possibility-door 

I haven't chosen not to smoke. Not really. If I had, I wouldn't have to fight the demon every day. It's because I've left the Possibility Door ajar in my mind. The door that I could walk through at any time and return to smoking. The demon knows this and keeps curling his bony, crooked finger, beckoning through that dark crack, tickling, torturing, coaxing, wearing me down.

But I'm on the side with the angel.

On the other side (where I came from) is the old me that smoked. And there too is the same Possibility Door. But from that side it's the possibility of quitting. And for those on that side it too is ajar. And the angel knows this and keeps shining the light through the crack and beckoning with gossamer wings, full of hope, tickling, coaxing, urging, praying.

It's a swinging door with well lubricated hinges. On one side the demon of slavery, on the other the angel of freedom.

One can walk from demon to angel and from angel to demon. We have free will and it's a choice we make.

What I must do now that I've walked into the light, is close the door behind me, lock it, throw away the key, and put up a barricade of such magnitude that the Possibility Door becomes a misnomer - from this side. That it becomes the "Impossibility Door." The door through which I will never pass again.

Stop the swinging door. Make it a one way trip. When you truly throw away the key to the possibility door of ever smoking again, you will truly be free. It's only when you allow the possibility to smoke - that you will be forever tortured.

Tags (1)
10 Replies
manofsteele

Amen...... More Super words and another reason I call you special......
0 Kudos
Giulia

Thanks Man of Steele!
0 Kudos

Amen Giulia: This reminds me of the story in the Bible about Lot's wife. The angel of God told them not to look back as they were leaving Sodom and Gomorrah, but she just had to look back and turned into a pilar of salt. If we keep our focus on what we have ahead, leaving those things behind us, we can press forward toward our goals. Taking one day at a time. Thank you for this.
0 Kudos
Giulia

Glad ya'll are finding this one helpful. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Giulia
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Great story to relate. I also think of it as driving a car. There is a huge windshield for everything in front of us .....and just a small rear view mirror. We have so much ahead of us and the past is behind us in that rear view mirror.
Yess

It pays to snoop around this site... finding gems like this along my way!

Pamela

dwwms

I agree, Pamela. I was just snooping around and saw this oldie but goodie. It really explains a lot as to why every time I've quit before, I end up going back. Obviously I left the possibility door open (only if just cracked), and allowed myself to push it open again. I'm determined this time that the door is shut, locked and barricaded. I cannot allow that possibility to happen again!

I'd further suggest that this post be put into the Best Of EX! Thanks for a real gem Giulia‌!

Doug

You just gave a whole new meaning to

Impossible means I'm Possible!

MarilynH

Excellent blog for a very wise lady, friend and fellow Exer, thanks Giulia

0 Kudos