cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mel424

5 Months. Didn't expect the struggle.

Hi all.  I hit 5 months today, and am struggling more than I have the entire time.  Or maybe I just don't recall the early days.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
TW517

I struggled pretty regularly with craves through the end of my 6th month.  They started declining fairly fast then until not getting them become the norm by the middle or so of my 8th month.  An occasional one still pops up every now and then, but it is easy to brush aside.

I feel for you.  I was pretty frustrated as well at 5 months, and what seemed like little progress.  I wondered if I was ever going to feel normal again.  I don't think my quit was so much in danger.  I just felt like I was doomed to be sort of miserable for the rest of my life.  It really does get better.  Hope it does for you soon.

Mel424

Thank you!!  

mine finally did at day 195, but I was on a patch for almost 2 months.  Around that time is when you get the whispers in your head that just one will be okay.  You won't go back to where you were.  You know better by now.  Ignore all that.  This is the time for you to treat quitting like a science experiment.  When am I struggling the most and what can I do about it?  You find it flares up more around the times you relax, start learning meditation.  If it's after meals, chew some gum or have a piece of your favorite candy.  This is the time to retrain your brain.  I'm sure it's an association with something.  Summer is coming.  The kids are going to be off of school.  The Holiday is here and another one to come.  Separate the act of smoking with the association of smoking, things that spark those thoughts.  It's there, you just have to find it

Also around this time is when I started doing a lot of reading in Relapse Prevention

Barbscloud

I do think the change of seasons does make it difficult. I associate summer with outside activitiees which included smoking.   All of these things are first's for us newbies.  Not easy.

75DOF

Mel424

That is so true.  I have been off for about 5 days so far for the holiday weekend.  First vacation time since I quit.  Makes total sense.

AnnetteMM

I'm at 5 months too!  I felt a bit of a struggle yesterday at a cookout.  First one of the season, and first one not smoking.  A little weird, I admit.  Holidays and weekends can be tough because the routine is all messed up.  Hang on!  Just hang on, and don't smoke, and try to ignore how you feel.  It'll pass.

Giulia

You will not suffer forever.  I know it may feel like it at times, but remember - there would be nobody on this list of it didn't get easier:  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=1294806c-79a3-4f64-8...‌  We say it, and it's really true - 'you have to go through to get to' the Freedom you seek.  And yes, we tend to forget the early days.  And believe me they were a lot worse!  lol  You hang in, ya hear?!

freeneasy

Banish the thoughts of "struggle" and replace them with pride of conquest. You have 5 months of "DAYS WON".! It gets better and no one needs another day one.

maryfreecig

For many of us, quitting is massive change and though it seems like it should be easier...especially as the months add up...it takes time to fully get over the addiction. Congratulations on 5 months, keep growing your smobriety. And keep hanging around Ex...it's good to be with other quitters.