cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

IrishRose

Higher Level

Sometimes, you just need to call on a higher level for help, because things can get so out-of-hand that you need the inner peace of knowing someone bigger than us is there looking out for you.  (Read what you want, and leave the rest!)

"God grant me the Serenity

to accept the things I cannot change

Courage to change the things I can, and

Wisdom to know the difference"

Irish Rose

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

That AA quote (I think it's theirs) pertains to SO much in life - children, in-laws, parents, co-workers, bosses, workplaces, driving situations.......

Count to 10, take a deep breath, repeat this, figure out WHICH this situation is and act accordingly.

In ANY situation, smoking is NEVER the answer!

Nancy

MarilynH

Thank you for posting this Irish Rose, I'm a recovering alcoholic I have over 7 years in sober I only went to A.A a couple of times but used the Serenity prayer pretty much daily and I used it for quitting smoking as well, here's the complete Poem which we can use in all area's of our lives.

08a498102cf9c992cc9b736ca2740a0b.jpg

IrishRose

I grew up with a father and brother - both alcoholics.  My Mom had a coin, which I inherited with other trinkets belonging to her when she died.  It was written by a theologian/minister by the name of Reinhold Niebhr.  His words were later used by AA, as part of its' 12-step program.

MarilynH

I'm so sorry about your Mom's passing and it must have been bitter sweet to inherit the coin and other trinkets, I have one coin that my younger sister gave me when I got 9 months of sobriety in, she's also a recovering alcoholic but is headed for 10 yrs in August, she did the A.A meetings but lives in town and had other members willing to travel her I would've had to travel myself and I was too tired but I still got sober to God be the Glory.

1523293173881570197688.jpg1523293269202837790322.jpg

indingrl

HI irishRose......beautiful NON SMOKER YOU! ....I use this prayer for 31 YEARS....and continue to use it.....God grant ME.....the serenity to ACCEPT the things....I .....cannot change......this part for ME.....gives ME a warning I have been playing god in others peoples business and trying to live their life instead of MY OWN......COURAGE to change the things I can.....this part teaches ME...to thank God for bringing ME this far and to remember to THANK GOD for his grace and tender mercy keeping ME a NON SMOKER to be of service to the next SUFFERING NON SMOKER..... and the WISDOM to KNOW the DIFFERENCE.....this is the humbling part for ME..... I pray and ask God to forgive ME for MY pride that SHOWS when I don't mind MY OWN business and leave ALL people to MY GOD who changes ME from the inside out and GOD business is ALL people.....so the WISDOM for ME....is given to ME by MY GOD that teaches ME.....to keep MY hands OFF.....GOD is GOD....boy oh boy have I had to use this prayer to SAVE innocent people from ME AND MY BIG MOUTH.... This prayer is ONE of many life preservers for ME.... Thanks for the memories of tough love lessons in this thing called life on life's terms and TOGETHER WE WILL STAY NON SMOKERS NO MATTER WHAT and for your gift IrishRose......to remember that I am NOT alone.....please keep coming BACK.

IrishRose

indingrl‌ , hello back, my dear, dear friend!!!  Know you are never alone, and I am here if you ever need me.  What a beautiful breakdown of how those words have followed you, and formed you into the beautiful lady that you are.  Yes, TOGETHER WE WILL STAY NON-SMOKERS NO MATTER WHAT.  Love you!!!!!

And BIG ((((((((((((HUG))))))))))) for you too, My Friend!!!!!!!!

Irish Rose

0 Kudos
Strudel

I say that prayer everyday- so, so good to see you back here Irish Rose! 

IrishRose

Thank you Strudel‌ , I too say that prayer every day.  It tends to put life in perspective.  We are only human and  cannot move mountains.  We can only control our own behavior.  That in itself is a 24/7 feat of its own.

Thank you for your kind words of being happy to see me too!  My heart has been carrying around a heavy load lately, and it is always good to know there are people in my life who truly care about me.

(((((((hug))))))

Irish Rose

MarilynH

((((((((((Huge hug from me to you dear Irish Rose))))))))))