cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

crjohnson53

Memory ?

Everyone has been so helpful on this site, thank you so much!  

I have a new question.  As mentioned, I had a wreck in October and neurologist just recently confirmed a concussion.  I know from reading on this sight that memory is a problem after smoking.  However, my doctors do not know that I had started smoking again.  So to help my memory, the neurologist just prescribed Aricept.  That is obviously a drug for dementia even though he said I didn't have it, but it would help with my memory.  I took the first one last night and it woke me up and kept me awake for most of the night.  I have been having major sleep problems so I really could use the sleep.  I have been taking natural products (herbs, etc. plus melatonin) and that all finally came together and worked great the night before last night.  

I am tempted to take the Aricept during the day which some people do but it isn't suggested because it can cause a drop in blood pressure and my bp is always on the low side anyway.  And I guess they would rather that happen while you're asleep.  I think I would rather chance taking it in the morning and see how it goes.  

Does anyone have an opinion on this?  The only reason I'm taking it at all is because it will supposedly help with my memory loss caused by recently stopping smoking.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

I didn't really have memory problems - more problems with concentration and staying focused.  We are not doctors here - my best advise would be to consult your doctor and be honest with him about your smoking habit and also all medications your are taking both prescription and over the counter.  Best wishes!

YoungAtHeart

Even though this is partially smoking-related, I think your best bet is to be honest with your doctor and get his advice.  Playing around with medications can reduce their effectiveness and might even cause harm,

Nancy

anaussiemom

Definitely speak to your doctor first.   Lots of good foods for memory.  Blue berries,  omega 3's,  fish..

hugs

0 Kudos