cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Urges or just little.... WANT A CIG ..... moments?

Urges. They come at the oddest times. I was just now finishing painting a quit smoking rock that will fit in my pocket, something for me to have to fiddle with, to pass time, or to look at and remind...... WANT A CIG...... myself that I don't.....WANT A CIG....smoke anymore. Holy heck! How did that happen? 

I had lunch and then got the WANT A CIG feeling. That one, I understood. I generally used to smoke after meals. Not always, but most times. 

The reality is that I don't want a cig. I rode through that urge and the ones before it today. I know they'll lessen, but are yours as random? It's like watching Big Brother when Julie Chen says to "expect the unexpected." Argh.

Just grumblin' and processin. Thanks for listening.

7 Replies
prjimm01

yes.  but the important thing is that YOU are an EX!!!

Congrats!

YoungAtHeart

Smoking a cigarette was ingrained in our lives 24/7 when we smoked.  After a meal, cooking a meal, planning a meal, driving to the store for the ingredients, cleaning up the dishes...and that's just the associations with eating!!!! 

It's a wonder ANYBODY can get over smoking!  But - we KNOW it can be done.  Changing up our routines helps, as does finding NEW ways of dealing with that drive to the store (find a different route, sip from a water bottle).

No reason to wonder WHY the associations - come up with NEW ones to replace the old!

indingrl

You doing good DonnaMarie at recognizing your OLD NICOTINE USING THINKING AND OLD HABITUAL WAYS and NOW YOU ARE CHOOSING WISELY TO STAY LIVING AND BREATHING YOUR NEW WALKING FREEDOM LIFESTYLE of this DAY ONLY taking it MOMENT BY MOMENT and your NEW lifestyle living out in this DAY ONLY being fully present in your CHOICES of NOT ONE PUFF EVER and enjoying your day of living FULLY ALIVE IN YOUR FREE WILL CHOICES MADE FREE WITH YOUR NEW MIND SET in NOT LIVING IN YOUR PAST and CHOOSING THIS DAY OF CONTINUING FREEDOM FROM NICOTINE AND STAYING QUIT NO MATTER WHAT and remembering the WE of YOUR NEW RECOVERING FROM

NICOTINE FAMILY is here with YOU DonnaMarie and TOGETHER WE WILL STAY QUIT and keep on keeping DonnaMarie and I love your commitment to thine OWN self be true!

elvan

Time...it takes time, you have to reprogram your brain which is used to smoking to mark everything...it DOES get easier.  Hang in there. I love the painted rock, great idea.

Ellen

Barb102

I love the painted rock too. I’m going to steal the idea and paint a rock. Thanks

Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

It is going to take time to figure out what works for you.  We can only suggest but you have to keep working it too. I did some crazy things so I would not smoke.  Spraying perfume to fool my receptors that it was not time to smoke.  Putting on my pj's so I would not go out. I always had a bottle of water, mint or gum ready to grab for after meals.  It can be fun.

Sandi4

DonnaMarie‌- Yes, mine are random as well.  I've learned here to just say, " I don't do that anymore." Say it out loud the next time a crave arises...it helps!

You're doing great!

Sandi

0 Kudos