cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BTP

Craving question

I'm 11 days into my quit and the craving never goes away. people say "oh i get like 4 cravings a day that last 1-5m"

it feels more like 1 big craving that lasts 24h to me. does this actually ever stop? possibly losing my mind.

9 Replies
desiree465

That does sound out of the ordinary. Are you keeping busy? I know sometimes I get depressed about not smoking which in turn makes me lazy. I have to force myself to get up and move and not wallow in my depression. 

TW517

I had many days like that the first 3 1/2 weeks of my quit.  And you are right, I felt like I was losing my mind.  desiree465‌ is right, moving around was by far the best way I found to deal with it.  Strenuous exercise was really good, but just getting up and walking down the hall is all you can do sometimes.  Please hang in there.  I know you are miserable now.  It really does get better.

BTP

I'm just not busy enough i guess. thank you for the encouragement. i don't plan to give into my addiction but it is so tough! theres really not much to do where i live either, out in the middle of no where. 

0 Kudos
desiree465

Sometimes it's hard to find things to do. Or if you have a job where you have a lot of down time. Maybe try to come up with a list of things you can do the day before and make that list each night? You would not believe how many places in your house you can clean that you would never think of normally. The grout in my bathrooms has never been whiter lol. I am sure others on here could give you some idea's too. The horrible cravings will pass you can do this! 

MichelleDiane

BTP, I have days like that, but then there are days like today that are fine.  There are times that I have the thought of a cigarette, but know that I don't need it or want it.  I love days like that because I can go about my business and know I am free.  Hang in there.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
CarolinaGal

I'm at 24 days and still have strong cravings at times. I noticed that they usually hit when I'm not busy with anything. It's impossible to be occupied 24/7 but the more you find things to do, the easier it is. Something simple like doing a word puzzle or online game is all it takes to get thru the craves.

It'll get better! It may not happen as fast as you want it to, but it will happen!

DonnaMarie

My personal opinion is that the 10-day mark is crucial. I suspect the cravings should lessen pretty soon. If not, continue to ride them through, see them as your addiction fussing at your wise decision to quit and it's a good thing, get an immediate change of scenery and some water if you can. I hate urges. With a passion. If they don't get better (fewer or at least lower in intensity), do talk to your doctor. Not sure what they can do, but perhaps there's help out there.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You say you have been quit 11 days but how are you going about quitting.  NRT?  Cold Turkey? Meds?/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX...sorry that you are having a hard time but I suspect that MOST of us can relate very closely to that feeling that the crave never goes away...at the beginning.  I lost quits because of that feeling, I felt like I was fighting the craves all of the time and it exhausted me.  It's called white knuckling your quit.  You need to accept that the craves WILL come and try to figure out what the triggers are...I understand that right now it seems like one HUGE trigger.  My husband is a recovering alcoholic (33+ years) who quit smoking 5 years after he quit drinking.  I told him when I quit this time...over four years ago, that I thought I was going to lose my mind because all I could think about was smoking.  He suggested something that I was, shall we say, somewhat quizzical about.  He told me to get on my knees and ask God to remove the mental obsession.  He told me that was what I was feeling...mentally obsessed and he remembered it well from the beginning of his recoveries.  I decided that I really had nothing to lose, whether or not I believed that it was going to help.  I did it...down on my knees, literally tearfully BEGGING to have the mental obsession removed.  Was it all smooth sailing from then on in?  No...it absolutely was not but it WAS better, something palpable changed.  I came to this site every morning and every evening in the beginning of my quit and I still do most days...coming here and reading blogs and commenting and seeing how others are doing has been priceless for me.  We all have different journeys but they ARE journeys.  Some people really do feel fewer or less intense craves or at least that is what they talk about.  I remember thinking that I really was going to lose my mind.  I did not want to smoke, I knew that it was suicide and that I was forcing the people who love me to watch me commit suicide, how cruel is that?  You read these accounts of people having very few craves and you wonder what is going on with you...I read about people having more and more energy and taking long walks and feeling great.  I have COPD and it is progressive, not smoking slows the progression but it still marches on.  I exercise regularly, I eat a healthy diet, and I do everything I can to take care of myself.  I KNOW that smoking does not HELP with anything, it does not take away physical pain, stress, sadness, or anything that I found or FIND uncomfortable.  The nicotine addiction tells me that smoking will fix everything when, in fact, it not only does not fix anything, it just makes us pay the fiddler, so to speak, later on.  Don't give up...read everything you can about this addiction, don't expect that your recovery is going to be easy, expect that it is going to be one day at a time and when a day is too long, it can be one hour at a time or one minute or one second.  I said NOPE, Not One Puff Ever, over and over and over again when I first quit.  I read blogs, I listened to the advice of the people on this site and I started to grow, slowly but surely, I started to get stronger and I started to feel better about myself.  This IS possible, you CAN do this, stay close to the site, lean on the people here.  We all want very much for you to succeed.

Ellen

0 Kudos