cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

lynne4

Side Effects....after being off of Chantix

For those of you off of Chantix and had some side effects - i.e. short tempered, melancholy, moody how long did it take after you stopped taking Chantix before things got back to normal? I have been off for a week after being on it for 5 weeks and while I feel better (and still smoke free) I don't feel completely myself and wanted to get others opinion.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
libby

I think it takes 2 to 3 weeks to feel better, but I imagine everyone is different
0 Kudos
spunkie

I have not stopped but may I suggest some of the side effects maybe from giving up smoking I notice I am short tempered but I was thinking hey I am smoke free and loving it so I will wait this out it has been about 2 weeks now with no change just a thought that all we are feeling may not be from the Chantix
0 Kudos
brian39

Lynne I have not posted here before because of another site that I belong to that i do all my posting on but anyways I stayed on Chantix for 6 months before I stopped taking it. I had no side effects when I went off the drug at all. I do know some people that did feel a little depressed when they went off Chantix. A lot of people now start cutting back before they go off over a month long period and have had great results doing it that way. Chantix stays in your body for a week when you stop taking it so I'm wondering if what your feeling is all from stopping the Chantix. Urges to smoke do increase after the first week off chantix and with how short of a time you stayed on it I would start being very careful with your quit. I'm at 9 months quit now and owe my quit to Chantix my wonder drug. I stayed on Chantix because it takes 6 months for your brain to rewire itself as a nonsmoker plus it takes 6 months for your brain to produce dopamine on its own again. People taking Chantix for 6 months also increase the chances of staying quit. Hope all goes well and gets better for you. Most of all stay quit and enjoy your new found freedom.

brian.
0 Kudos
lynne4

Thanks for the posts. I agree that some of the effects I have are related to my quit, but the memory loss and iratic behavior I believe is due to the drug. I do totally agree that Chantix got me where I needed to be with quiting and believe me I will be extremely careful moving forward and will not even allow myself a puff ever again in fear I will be right back to a pack a day. Awesome job on 9 months, I can't wait to get there.

The effects aren't unbearable, just curious as I am going on vacation next Wed and want to be as much myself as I can be, a much needed vacation for my husband and I without the kids celebrating our anniversary. I just wanted people's take on their system after getting off the drug.

What does the Dopamine do again, is that what triggers the brain to not want to smoke?
0 Kudos
noyb

Hmmm, 100 days when I decided to go cold turkey fm the Chantix. I was doing 1 x 1mg /day for 1 wk or so at the time (personal choice). Shoot, I had NO side effects whilst on it and now on day 108 I have still no neg grrrrrr's.... I'd honestly think that I am an enigma.

Chantix was (and is) my God-send. I it wasn't for that drug, I would probably be back to my old self of "quiting quiting". hehe. So, for me, I am and always have been myself.
0 Kudos
brian39

dopamine is the feel good drug your brain releases. Everytime you smoked a cig the nicotine would make your brain release some. So your brain became trained when to release it. When you use Chantix it makes your brain release just a little bit all the time and thats why most people don't go through all the ups and downs during your quit that people not taking it experience. Chantix really is a anti depressant for most people. It takes 6 months for your brain to start producing and releasing dopamine on its own after you quit. Lynne everyone is different with there quit but as a general rule I would just be a little more careful because you could have stronger urges and bigger mood swings now and then you might not experience nothing different at all. Being off chantix for a week now you should start seeing if you will have any effects very shortly. I started having stronger urges when I went off but i have been able to get through everyone. Hope you have a great time with your husband on your get away vacation Lynne. Remember that nothing is better then being a x smoker. Its worth what ever it takes. Take care and stay strong. Robb your quit sounds so much like mine. Ive had very few side effects from the Chantix. My son had to come off the chantix after 2 weeks because of how bad he mentally reacted to the drug so it is a drug that should be closely monitored. I still think that women should be on half the dose that men are on. More women then men have side effects from the chantix on the site i'm on, and so many of the women cut there dose in half and have very few side effects.

brian .
0 Kudos
lynne4

Brian - thanks so much for the information. Yes, that makes total sense. The dopamine level is what I need to get back to normal. It has been a little over a week that I have been off and feeling pretty good, again the side effects have been minor, but I do notice a difference in myself. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely in a heart beat. It was an absolute small price to pay for the overall picture of being a non-smoker. Also, I know that some of what I am going through is also the fact that I have urges and my patience gets a bit tried, so some of the mood swings and short temperedness is from quitting. We are off to Napa Valley and as most of you smokers know out there, CA is not the most smoker friendly state, so I am thrilled to be going this year without my carton of smokes! Thanks again for the information.
0 Kudos
brian39

Lynne I know your gone but I just want to leave you with a little advise. The number one period for people losing there quit is in the first week. No surprise there right. The second largest time of people losing there quit is between the 4th and 6th week of there quit. That really didn't surprise me either. But the 3rd largest time surprised me big time and when I started losing quit buddy's left and right I became a believer. It is between the 6th and 7th month of quit. I'm just trying to warn you so when you get to this point of your quit you will know whats going on. For some reason some people start experiencing strong craves again. I did not experience them but I lost what I thought were some strong quitting buds during this time. One texted me from a 7/11 parking lot and I couldn't talk her out of going inside and buying and smoking some. .I lost 9 buddys in two weeks time. By the way I'm a southwest sider. Stay strong Lynne
0 Kudos
lynne4

Well I am back and thanks for the information. I will make sure my guard stays up and probably will have to forever, from what I am reading. I was able to stay strong and still a non smoker. It was very freeing going on vacation and not having smokes! I think that is great that you remain strong and are at 9+ months. Thanks for the encouraging words!
0 Kudos