cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MichelleDiane

Mornings

I have, yet, discovered another thing about myself through this journey.  After reading my blogs I recognize that the mornings are when I have the most difficulty.  As I was doing my morning drive to drop my husband off (isn't it nice he has his own private driver) I dreaded the feeling I had.  I suppose the old me would choke the morning off by smoking. It did not make it a good morning, yet it was what I was accustomed to.  During the car ride I drank cold water, put a stick of gum in my mouth, and took some deep breaths.  After I dropped him off I did some self-talk and visualized (as I often do) what would happen if I smoked.  Again, I knew I would choke my brains out and be very disappointed in myself.  Bottom line is that I did not smoke.  Now I need to add something to my morning to get rid of those thoughts before I torture myself.  Perhaps I will start meditation to calm my mind.  I know that it works because I do it when there is too much going on in my life and I need to recenter.  It is time to take it out first thing in the morning and warm it up like I do with my car on cold days.  The feeling of smoking leaves me cold, so I will make myself warm by meditating.  Thanks for listening.

-Michelle

11 Replies
ShawnP

Good morning. Mornings were rough with me and my coffee. In regards to Car rides, i cranked up the radio and sang to every tune. It does get easier and then before long you won't be thinking anymore about it. Have a good smoke free day!

MichelleDiane

Thank you ShawnP.  I am starting to head into the day where my thoughts are less and motivation is more.

-Michelle

elvan

MichelleDiane‌ I am really proud of you.  Mornings were really hard for me at first because I started my day feeding the cat and smoking a cigarette outside.  Once I got through the first few mornings and I was able to see that I COULD do it, I was stunned.  I knew if I could get through the mornings, I could get through ANY time of day.  Meditation is a great way to center yourself, exercise also helps me to feel more in control...after all I am the one exercising, right?  There is a discipline there that makes me feel empowered. You are doing SUCH a good job, I love your phrase, "I will make myself warm by meditating."

Have a wonderful day.

Ellen

Mandolinrain

Yes that is an excellent phrase ! I so agree!!!

Mandolinrain

Sounds like  your journey is showing you where your strengths and weaknesses are in regards to when you used to smoke. Also sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.

i like that your coming up with ways to divert your attention to something healthier. I used to make my own veggie chips and kept them in the car to have.

i also like that your thinking through the action. The times I didn’t think it through and let my guard down and smoked, were so frustrating.... and I had brought it in myself by NOT thinking through the crave.

I admire your journey. Your gonna make it !

xoxoMissy

MichelleDiane

Thanks for the encouragement Missy.  In a better place now and I didn't have to smoke to get here.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
elvan

Hey there, you have gotten some stellar suggestions.  I LOVED that extra time I got in the mornings...I was also pretty fond of the extra money in my checking account.  The cold water was a  lifesaver for me...as well as the radio.  Congratulations on your journey, my friend, you are doing a great job!

Ellen

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Thank you Ellen.  Yes.  Very good and helpful suggestions.  I did think about the money I've saved so far and went out to buy some yarn to make my sister a scarf.  (Her favorite color).  Drinking loads of water and have found my way back to carrot sticks.  I made it through the day and not hanging by a thread.  I actually laughed a little and enjoyed some reading.  Any smoking thoughts I had during the day were redirected.  If I did think a little to long about it I would remember the wheezing and coughing and say to myself that I could not go through day 1 again and that I do not want to smoke anyway.  I really don't.  Well, I hope your evening is pleasant and thanks again, my friend.

-Michelle

0 Kudos
elvan

You are SO welcome...I laughed a LOT when I first quit, I think I was reacting to the surge of oxygen and I was SO PROUD of myself...honestly, I am sure I was insufferable.

0 Kudos