cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Pics: There's Snow in the South!

Although we have a little snow here every year before I found today's snow quite pretty so I took some pictures.  Our town got around 1/2' to 1" of it which is good but if it's going to snow, make it worth it! Anyway,  These are pics I took from our back deck this morning:

snow3 1-4-18.jpgsnow4 1-4-18.jpg snow5 1-4-18.jpg

Good thing mini horses don't need blankets! I have kept toasty today with the gas log fireplace!

Julie

18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

SO pretty!  Especially the handsome little guy (gal?) in the picture.   Lovely setting you live in and prettier, still, with a dusting of white!  Glad you didn't foul the air with cigarette smoke!

We get enough in my neck of the woods that I only get excited if I get to take Xmas decoration pics - which I did this year.

It's always fun to walk in when it first snows at night and it is all quiet except for the falling snow.  One of my favorite things to do...maybe next year!

Nancy

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Very nice pictures.  Thank you for sharing.  I believe we got about a foot in VA

0 Kudos
Strudel

Lovely! 

0 Kudos
elvan

Beautiful pictures...looks so peaceful.  Why don't minihorses need blankets...do they regulate their temperatures better than full sized horses?

Oh JACKIE1-25-15‌ I am well southeast of you and we got NO snow in this part of Virginia.  It's really cold and some area schools are closed while others have delays.  No snow...just cold and wind.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

Wow 10.3 inches fell here.  I am on the coast so it made a difference.  I know it is still COLD Sootie"BLIZZARD"

elvan

JACKIE1-25-15‌ and Sootie‌ I kept hearing CYCLONE BOMB yesterday and its name is Grayson, hahahaha.  

0 Kudos
minihorses

Hi Ellen!  Miniature horses have a natural thick woolly coat in the winter. They are built to pull (itty-bitty draft horses) so nature pretty much takes over. Most horses don't need blankets unless they're shaved during the year or they can't physically grow a good coat.  My first horse had to be blanketed because she had zero winter coat but all my others have been furry enough to go without.  Putting a blanket on a horse that already has a winter coat is worse because when they sweat it makes them colder and they shiver.  That happened last year to my appaloosa who had to be put to sleep in Feb.  It was bitter cold so the guys put a blanket on her and within 30 minutes she was shivering so bad she actually went down.  We got that blanket off, dried her off and gated her in the barn for the rest of the day.  Won't make that mistake again!

Julie

0 Kudos
elvan

minihorses Thanks for sharing that information...I had NO idea.  I am SO SORRY that you lost your appaloosa, that is so terribly sad.  You really do know a LOT and Daniela2016‌ is right that this site offers so much more than just support for not smoking. Oh, I thought of you a few days ago when I bought a bag of McIntosh apples which are MY favorite apple.  These are beautiful.  My oldest daughter lives very close to Lake Ontario and I grew up in Western NY...in the FingerLakes.  There are times when I miss it terribly...they are having a very rough time with cold and snow...we are just getting the cold here, very cold but supposed to be in the 50's later this week.  Those changes drive me crazy...as soon as I think the season is going to last a while, it jumps all over the place. At least in NY, it is winter when it is winter and spring doesn't keep trying to get in there way before it should.  I feel that is it not unusual to have four seasons in one day here and I am not sure that I will ever get used to that, even after more than 20 years here.

Ellen

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Absolutely beautiful pics and a adorable horse too, here's what I woke up to this morning, I'm ready for Summer.

FB_IMG_1515152859367.jpg