cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Vitamin K and COPD

COPD has long been known to cause heart disease but we are not without recourse.

I have been taking 100 mcgs of Vitamin K every day for some time. 

Here's why:

Is Vitamin K Deficiency the Link Between Lung and Heart Diseases? - Medical News Bulletin | Health N... 

When I was recently hospitalized I doubt there's many tests I didn't take and one thing is clear - my heart is very healthy.

Something to think about.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
7 Replies
elvan

This is really interesting.  When I had my lung surgery, my serum calcium levels were so low that they were at "panic" level...they put me on calcium and told me to take it regularly when I got home.  A couple of months later, I had a low dose CT Scan of my lungs and the radiology department emailed me that I needed to call my doctor because there was a finding on the scan that the doctor might want to address.  Nothing like freaking a patient out.  It DID say that there was no sign of lung cancer but whatever the finding was needed to be followed up with my pulmonologist.  I called her and could not get a call back but I had an upcoming appointment so I decided to just let go of it for a few days.  When I went to see her, I asked why the radiology department seemed so concerned, she looked over the results and kind of shrugged her shoulders.  She said that there were calcium deposits in my coronary arteries but SHE was not worried about it at all.  The next week, I saw my rheumatologist and asked HER what she thought.  She told me to cut my calcium supplements down and not to take them at all if I was having a calcium rich meal...i.e. cheese, yogurt, broccoli, almonds...I said okay and she said that the calcium deposits are a sign of coronary artery disease.  I had an echocardiogram and I also had stress test, the pulmonologist said the stress test showed an ejection fraction of 78% and she said, "that's GREAT."   I asked the rheumatologist if she agreed with that because I thought it was HIGH and that is NOT good.  She said, "It IS high."  I asked her if she thought it was okay and she said probably but unless they did a cardiac catheterization there was no way to tell for sure.  Confused?  I sure am, I don't see the pulmonologist until February or March...not sure, THEY changed the appointment...they do that all of the time.  It kind of concerns me that it is being blown off.  I really like my rheumatologist and have been with her for years and years...the pulmonologist, not so much.  Now I wonder if there could be a connection between my heart and my lungs that is being blown off.  I am not exactly sure who to ask.

Well, NOW you've got me thinking.

Ellen

Ellen, do you have means to get a second opinion?

elvan

I could ask for a referral to a cardiologist, I HAD one but the pulmonologist said that she saw no reason to keep that appointment.  I am SO SHORT of breath, I realized that it might just be my COPD progressing but if there is something cardiac going on, I really would like to know.  I will call after the first of the year...I think it's a good idea to see a different doctor and sort of start this over again.  I think my insurance will cover it, it certainly costs me enough.

My husband has to be screened for an abdominal aortic aneurysm, his blood pressure is high and he had a retinal hemorrhage which they think is related to the blood pressure.  He is seeing an eye doc after Christmas...I am not sure when the screening is scheduled...not sure HE knows.  He has to have a colonoscopy too.

Thanks for the information.

Ellen

Tabbiekat

Ellen

2nd (3rd) opinion from a Cardiologist if you can? They can use the results from the echo and stress test given by the pulmonologist to verify if the ejection fraction of 78% needs a deeper look (Transesophageal echocardiography/TEE or cardiac cath). I think 55-75% is considered normal and if that is the case 78% is something to be at least watched and not given a "that's Great". Good maybe, but not great. My husbands last stress test showed his ejection fraction was high- not sure of the exact %, but his cardiologist said lets wait and see. His other cardiologist doing the ablation next month was able to do the  TEE before the last attempt at an ablation told me that my husbands heart looked great, but had a slight thickening of the walls and that would be the cause for the high ejection fraction, something that may lead to him needing a pacemaker in the future.

Barbara145

Thanks Thomas.  I take  K-2 ,MK7.  It is an excellent form of Vitamin K  My understanding is that Vitamin K puts the calcium from your bloodstream  into the bones not the blood vessels.  My heart is healthy too, we are both blessed. 

0 Kudos
elvan

Barbara145‌ That's really interesting...I don't think I have ever taken a vitamin K supplement and I bleed like crazy.  It certainly is something to check into.  Thank ALL of you, I will follow up after the Holidays.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Very interesting discussion.  Thanks you guys.

0 Kudos