cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jennifer-Quit

Our Office Kitty

Our stray office cat that we rescued to live in our warehouse at work is very sick.  We have been feeding it really high protein canned food but he just isn't putting on any weight.  And he cries a lot.  He warmed up to us - so he is used to being around people.  We managed to get him to the vet today but unfortunately he has an incurable form of leukemia and will have to be put down.  I really got attached to him in such a short period of time.  I feel so sad.  I think I may check into adopting a cat from a shelter. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Awe. Sorry to hear that Jen. I think you would make a great cat mom!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Look on the bright side, Cats have nine lives.  You did the very best for an animal that was terminal which opened you up to actually wanting to have a pet of your own.   I am still at the fish stage. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I was a dog person all my life - and then somebody dumped a kitten and it was living in my yard.  Long story short, she became MY cat and was the bestest friend I ever had.  I had her for 13 years and what a blessing she was.

I wish the same for you.  The shelters have LOTS to chose from ----

Nancy

0 Kudos
dwwms

As an animal person, I am so sorry to hear about your office kitty. It's good that you're considering adopting a cat from a shelter - many are in need of a home. And no home is complete without at least one animal to share it with you!

Doug

MarilynH

Aaah I'm really sorry Jennifer, it's so easy to fall in love with fur babies and it's heartbreaking when they sick and have to be put to sleep, huge hug for you and adopting a shelter cat is a wonderful idea to give it a loving home.  is awesome. 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Jennifer---I truly believe you can never go wrong by sharing your home with a pet. Any down side is ALWAYS over come by the unconditional love they bring to your life. I am so sorry about the office cat....it is sad when we lose pets but you are doing the right thing in considering taking on a new friend......seriously, you won't regret it. Over the years, our home and family have been blessed to include many animals. They have enriched all of our lives and taught my children many valuable lessons. When our house has temporarily been without a pet...it feels empty and cold. Yes---we have had wood work scratched, carpets ruined and even furniture eaten........all of it totally worth it for the love and affection given to us. We have also had to say sad goodbyes to many of those animals. But we know that we gave them a good life here and they returned that tenfold.

As you can see----I am totally in favor of you adopting a cat or dog .......we've also had birds, rabbits, lizards and fish.......but I recommend cat or dog. What a GREAT holiday treat to yourself!!!!

elvan

Jennifer-Quit  I'm so sorry, Jennifer.  How very sad...what a beautiful gift you can give to a rescue cat by getting it out of a shelter before the Holidays.  Find the right cat for you...you'll both know.  Again, I am really sorry, I have lost so many pets over the years and they have always stayed in my heart.

XOXO,

Ellen

0 Kudos
shashort

Awe Jennifer so sorry to hear the news of your office cat. That is so sad. I thinks it great your thinking about resuing one, what a great gift for you and the fur baby.  I am a dog person I have 2 shelties and one was from a shelty rescue facility. All animals has so much love to offer.

0 Kudos
Giulia

DO adopt another cat. There are so many out there in need of caring homes (and offices).  Animals touch us in so many ways.  They break our hearts in their dying and open them when we accept a new one into our lives.  Like a quit, it's a commitment.  And then it becomes a joy.  

To ease a bit of your sadness - know that you all provided this cat with more life and kindness than it might else have received in it's lifetime.  You have thought in terms of "it's good."  Putting it down when the time is right is a mercy for the animal.  And we never really know if it's the "right" time.  But we must trust that it comes from the best place in our heart for the ultimate best comfort of the animal.  If death is ever a best comfort.  

0 Kudos