cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Are you fighting your foe or justifying yourself?

Way back in the '80s, the nicotine patch was in the works to be patented. Finally it was released as a prescription back in 1991. Millions of sample boxes were distributed throughout the U.S. For physicians to distribute to their patients to try. I remember those little sample boxes. They contained a sample patch and a pamphlet directing you to a number to call for “support.” They were marketed at that time as something to use to “kick the habit.” They were not covered by insurance and were costly back then. In the mid '90s, mostly likely because they came off of formulary, they were introduced as over-the-counter, a more affordable option for those wanting to quit smoking.

Now we evolve even further through the years with the introduction of the Internet and all kinds of things are popping up all over the place claiming to the painless way to quit smoking. There was hypnosis, drops, inhalers, e-cigarettes, herbal teas, nutritional supplements claiming to be the cure-all to smoking. They promise to be the easiest way. The one thing they fail to mention is that once you quit, do they promise to continue working once you stop using them? Are they somehow putting in people's head that without the use of their product, you are guaranteed to return to smoking? Are they marketing this concept to ensure a defeat before the beginning of the battle? Using any type of nicotine replacement should only be used as an aid to assist you in quitting. They are not there to make you stop smoking or keep you away from wanting to smoke. There is nothing on this earth that will do that, prescription or otherwise.

What will help you quit and maintain your quit is between your two ears. As smokers, we are impulsive. We got that first hit of dopamine and we liked it. What divides the line between smokers and ones who have never smoked in their lives? What makes us so different? What is it in our genetic makeup that calls us over to the dark side? On the other end of the spectrum, is it just simply a matter of perception of the act of smoking? Is it a simple answer of we romance the act of smoking; whereas the nonsmoker finds it unattractive? Smoking has absolutely no appeal to them. Never did. That's why they never started.

Trust me when I tell you that your mind-set as time dwindles on will become that as a nonsmoker. You will find yourself when you smell stale smoke to automatically go whew, that stinks. Or geez that smells awful. You will find yourself one day when someone is smoking to automatically look up and

just simply say, someone around here must be smoking. Instead of taking a deep breath and saying to yourself, man, does that smell good, I wish I could have one too. Feeling deprived, somehow cheated. That is your brain romanticizing the ACT of smoking. Just keep telling yourself, That's just something that I used to do. That's not part of who I am anymore.

Back when we were adolescents, we used smoking for peer acceptance, to be part of the cool crowd. It make us look tough. As time went on, we used it as our stress reliever, our nerve calmer. Further we used it as a comfort, our best friend when we felt alone, a replacement for something we felt we were losing or have lost. Now is the time for you to find the replacement for those things that you were using smoking for. Repair your inner child, your insecure self with positive reinforcement. Take the upper hand and learn about your foe. What was it that you used smoking for the most? We all used it for a replacement for something. Take the time and figure it out. Fight the fight. Don't justify your excuses, your replacements. Show that inner child this new way of life.

Yes, it is a lifestyle change. But really, aren't you your own worst enemy sometimes? Mix it up. Make a commitment, dig your heels in. For some people visiting https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/celebrations-events every day and pledging in the morning not to smoke and yelling out your days of freedom on the Freedom Train every night helps. Develop your strategy. Create a new routine, a positive routine. Be the one in charge of this aspect of your life, empower yourself. This is an article I came across this week that puts forth a very positive message. Take a peek and see what you think: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/millennial-media/201201/empower-yourself-today

chain-1623322_960_720.jpg

Tags (1)
1 Reply
elvan

I spent YEARS justifying myself...I ALWAYS had what I considered to be a valid excuse.  Pain, stress, you name it.  I remember when patches first started to be used and I remember people being admitted through the emergency room because they had patches on and they were smoking and they had symptoms of a heart attack.  I don't know if they were stronger than today's patches or if they just increased the pulse rate so much that the person THOUGHT they were having a heart attack.  I did not use anything but I certainly have nothing against NRT...I was too sick to use anything and by the time I might have used the patch, I had been off nicotine for over a week and there would have been no point in introducing it back into my system.  

If there really is an easy way to quit...I never found it, it was just one day at a time...one experience at a time.

Ellen

0 Kudos