cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

COPD, Anxiety and Depression

Study Links Anxiety and Depression Symptoms to COPD Patients and Caregivers

Patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and their caretakers may experience symptoms of anxiety and depression that could impact their mortality, quality of life, and healthcare use.

A study recently published in International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease investigated the factors that are related to anxiety and depression in patients with COPD and their carers. The researchers conducted in-person interviews with patients and carers in their home setting. Data was also collected on the sociodemographics, clinical characteristics, and caring situation of the participants. Additionally, all patients completed a Chronic Respiratory Questionnaire that measured their disease-specific, health-related quality of life.

“Few studies have been conducted in the primary care setting,” the authors wrote. “We aimed to determine the association between patient and carer anxiety and depression and factors associated with anxiety and depression in patients, carers, and both in the dyad in a population-based cohort, sampled from primary care.”

The results revealed the prevalence of anxiety symptoms was 46.4% in patients and 46% in carers, while the depression prevalence was 42.9% in patients and 23% in carers. Patients with anxious and depressive symptoms were associated with more physical comorbidities, more exacerbations, greater dyspnea, greater fatigue, poor mastery, and demonstrated depressive symptoms at a younger age.

Carer symptoms were linked to being female; separated, divorced, or widowed; depressive symptoms with a younger age; a higher educational level; and more physical comorbidities. Also, carers with anxiety and depression had more unmet support needs, greater subjective caring burden and poor patient mastery. Furthermore, patient fatigue was linked with dyad symptoms of anxiety and depression.

“Regarding the relationship between dyad anxiety and depression and patient fatigue, patients and carers could be supported to optimize their delegated dyadic coping: carers could offer balanced social support (so that they do not become overwhelmed themselves) and encourage patients to do as many everyday activities as they are able to before becoming too fatigued (to maintain a degree of self-efficacy),” the study stated.

Given the results of the study, the researchers suggested screenings to address the anxiety and depression in patients and carers in order to find solutions that will positively impact mortality, their quality of life, healthcare service use, and their associations with each other.

Study Links Anxiety and Depression Symptoms to COPD Patients and Caregivers 

Thomas:

If you feel anxiety and depression alongside COPD you are not alone! Please seek treatment for anxiety and depression. You will manage your COPD better! Which came first, the chicken or the egg? It doesn't matter! Both physical and mental Health are very important to maximize Quality and Quantity of Life with COPD!

If you are feeling lost and don't know where to begin, come here and tell us about it! We will help you with first steps! You can count on your Friends!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies
elvan

As usual, you hit the nail on the head, Thomas.  I find myself feeling more and more fearful of how much life I may have lost because I smoked.  I get anxious about what I will leave behind and SO SAD thinking of my family.   I remember that when I trained as a hospice volunteer, the biggest thing they emphasized was to let the patient talk.  They said that family members never wanted to hear about the patient's fear and feelings when it came to death.  That, in turn, increased the patient's anxiety and depression.  I know that and I am on anti-depressants.  I am doing everything that I physically CAN do to strengthen my body and my mind, I have valium that I can take at night for sleep if I need it.  I find that I think about losses more now than I used to.  Of course, it is fall and it is coming up on that anniversary of the fire.  I know I will never get over that, sometimes I can SEE the flames, I can smell the smoke, it is like it just happened.  I still cry over my lost fur babies, I suspect I always will.  I know that my husband is not exactly my caretaker since I am not home bound but I also know that he is much more depressed than he used to be and that he is much more easily angered.  We are both dealing with my COPD and although I am not home bound and I certainly carry my weight at home and financially,  COPD affects BOTH of us.  He has been clinically depressed for years but it has become much more evident and our oldest daughter told me tonight on the phone that he is a "broken man."  She said she knows it is not his fault but she misses him.  She told me that she cannot even think about my mortality and to PLEASE not bring it up, she said it would "break" her.  I told her that it would NOT break her, she is much stronger than she thinks she is and she has two kids who need her...no matter how old they are.  I also reminded her that she has a younger brother and sister who would need her more than ever.  Alright, enough of that, I have work to do.  REALLY, I have work to do, I remember TerrieQuit‌ telling us that her therapist said everyone is allowed to feel sad and pitiful but not for any longer than 15 minutes a day.  That has made me laugh out loud more than once.

Ellen

Strudel

Thank you Thomas - always providing us with such valuable information! 

0 Kudos

Thank You Friends! elvan‌ May I just say again how very sorry I am for your loss during the fire? It's understandable that the anniversary would bring up your grief. And you do have a right to grieve.I can feel your pain! Your daughter is doing the best she can but you want to know that she is prepared for a future once you have gone. She can't hear you - just yet! Be patient!

Please remember that although all of these issues would contribute to sadness, grief, and worry in just about anybody, we also are faced with shortness of breath which stimulates flight-fight but there's no place to run and there's no thing to fight! Taking long slow deep breaths helps relieve this symptom. Mindfulness meditation also helps us tremendously to calm an overstimulated nervous system as well as PTSD from the fire. Stop - feel the here and now as 100% as you can get. And most important of all, be kind to yourself! 

Ellen, you are such a compassionate person. Can you find compassion for YOU? What would you tell you as your Best Friend who came to you with this story? Meet yourself where you are! Turn that incredible LOVE onto yourself! 

You are a tough trouper but you are also entitled to your tears, sadness, grief!

Sending you Giant, Soft, Gentle, Caring, Loving Hugs!

elvan

Thank you, Thomas.  That Fight or Flight thing is a joke with the shortness of breath, I couldn't flee anything.  I am trying so hard to be good to myself but I have to admit that it has always been much easier for me to be good to others.  If a friend of mine came to me with my story, I would hug her and let her cry.  I would remind her of mindful meditation and I would strongly suggest that she stop watching the news.

Hugs back to you,

Ellen